Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Brown County fishing with Father in-law!!

My wifes parents are coming up from Tx in a couple of weeks and we have rented a cabin in Brown County. He wants to go fishing. I have just started fishing in the area this year with a 16'flat back canoe with a 3hp motor. I also have a trolling motor if needed.
    Where is a good place to fish this time of year that actually might produce something? Lake Lemon seems out as they are about to dredge the lake. I don't mind Monroe, but there are so many pleasure craft, makes it a little scary in the canoe. Any suggestions for nearby lakes or quiet fishing places on Monroe?
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Brown County fishing with Father in-law!!

Fishing in the brown county area in a canoe, I like your style. Check out Ogliville State fishing area. Located in Bartholomew County a few miles off of 65, Nice lake, good fishing, no big moters on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Yellow wood lake is close, but it sure doesn't compare well to texas bass! Expect mostly short fish, 11"-14". It's a little bigger than most electric motor only lakes. I haven't fished there in a long time, but it is safe for a canoe. You should try one of the ponds in the park too. Good luck, Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

> Fishing in the brown county area in a canoe, I like your
    >style. Check out Ogliville State fishing area. Located in
    >Bartholomew County a few miles off of 65, Nice lake, good
    >fishing, no big moters on the lake.

Are you talking about Driftwood State Fishing Area just south of Camp Atterbury? Plover pit is the 'big' lake and it is very nice, only been there once, but its only about 50 minutes to the ramp from my house in Indy. We plan to hit that place more as a Sunday morning quick trip.
    I could not find anything on Ogliville.
    Thanks,
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

>Yellow wood lake is close, but it sure doesn't compare well
    >to texas bass! Expect mostly short fish, 11"-14".
    >It's a little bigger than most electric motor only lakes. I
    >haven't fished there in a long time, but it is safe for a
    >canoe. You should try one of the ponds in the park too. Good
    >luck, Steve.

Luckly he is not much of a fisherman back home...I do miss fishing in TX. I have been to Yellowwood a few weeks ago, very nice lake. I was hoping to get the newly rebuild 1953 Evinrude 3hp out on the water, but I agree, if I cannot find any good suggestions for a quiet area on Monroe, I'm thinking Lake Yellowwood and the electric motor will be the way to go.
    The larger lake in BC park is Ogle lake, would seem like it would be heavily fished due to it being in such a popular park, but maybe not.
    Thanks,
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Naaa, I should have been more clear on the location. "Sorry"

Just south of Coulmbus. Ind. on 65 you need to exit on State Road 58,,, drive to Ogilville out side of Ogiville you will see signs pointing you to "Grouse Ridge" State Fishing area.

"IF" you make it over there,, fish the shoreline from the ramp to the back part of the lake. You have a good weed line that holds bass then you will see a ton of stumps in some standing tember. The trees are all dead and will break if you hit them with your boat too hard. I've been extreamily lucky around all the trees. The water is about 15 foot in that area.

If the Aug. heat is still real bad, head towards the dam the deepest water is approx 20 foot, weeds and rip rap all around the dam. You don't have to worry about a spill way or any posted water to stay out of.

It's nice water, and a safe place to fish (no people problems)

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, really if you go to the north end of Monroe it's all idle zone. That doesn't mean everyone will comply but you should avoid the brown county area that has the waterfowl nesting area. It's so shallow their you will risk running you electric motor in the mud a lot. I guess it depends also on how comfortable your family is in a canoe, if someones a little skidish Monroe may not be good. You don't want to launch at Cutright many boaters go a little fast when heading to the causeway and the wind can kick up some good waves there at times. I will say that catfish cove is sheltered well, it's on the southeast side of the lake, but it only has a gravel road that dead ends at the water. No true launch, but I have put a jon boat in to fish bluegills. I can't speak for the bass fishing there but there is a mixure of shallow and deep water.
    I don't fish Ogle lake but when I have been there I mostly saw a few people bank fish for bluegills with kids. It might be an easy trip for a morning or evening.

Post Thanks / Like

Have heard of Grouse Ridge. My family and I will hit that in a few weeks when it a little cooler.
    The wife wants me to stay nearer to the cabin for next weekend.
    It will either be Lake Yellowwood or a quiet spot on Monroe unless something new pops up.
    Thanks for the new fishin hole advice,
    Matt Anderson

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice, I will look at a map tonight.
    Thanks much,
    Matt Anderson