Search Fishin.com

Thread: wawasee

Post Thanks / Like

wawasee

looking for any info on lake Wawasee. I have a small bass club tournament on the lake and I've never been on it before. Any info would be apprciated. like Were to start, Weeds? Docks? etc.
    Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: wawasee

Well the one tip I got for you is that if you're fishing dock, be very accurate with your cast because the people there VERY MUCH don't like it when your lure hit their dock, boat, etc.. Oh yeah, watchout for those darn pikes.

Post Thanks / Like

Night time & day time Wawasee info.

NIGHT,,,,, stay on the big lake or go to the Syracuse cut,, and fish the Syracuse side. (Good small mouth fishing on the Syracuse lake),on both lakes,,, find a weed line stay on top of the weed line. Throw a thumper spinner bait, or a larger plastic worm, lizard, or tube bait into the weeds. Plan on spending the night fishing weed lines "EVEN IF" your 100 feet from the shore line. Stay on the weed line.

DAY,,,,You can not fish the weed lines in the day time, you will fight with 200 speed boats comming from all directions. The wave action will flip you out of your butt seat. Hit the cuts, find & fish matted grass, or lilly pads, & fish all the docks. If you can find a weed line just out side of a cut, (the wave action wont be as ruff,) throw a raddle trap, smaller worm or a silver willow leaf spinner bait.

As the above post read get ready for some "toothy critters" They will nail anything that produces a flash in the water.

You have a small ramp,,,, two boats can get on the ramp, but it is extreamily tight. You have to park across the road in a nice parking lot, but get ready for a little walk back to the boat. At the ramp you have two small docks it takes a while to pick up your partner "IF" the locals are also putting in at the same time you launch. SO,,,, Get to the lake about one hr. before you start. That way you can make sure everything is ready to go at your start time.

GOOD LUCK,,,,, Let us know how you and your guys did.

Junior ,,
    from Goshen In.

Post Thanks / Like

Thaks for the info. I appreciate it. I'll be fishing during the day.6-3on Sat and 6-noon on Sun.
    What about the ramp at the south end of the big lake? I drove around it awhile back.

Post Thanks / Like

Dont hold me to this statement but,,,,,, The only ramps "I know of" is located at Buttermilk Point, at the south end, off of Hatchery Rd. That could be the ramp you spoke of.

The other ramp is at Syracuse lake (west of the Baltimore and Ohio R.R. tressel). You can find the ramp off of highway 13, just as you arrive to the town of Scracuse.

Whenever I "fun fish" I put in at the Sycacuse ramp, it keeps you out of a lot of the heavy ski, and pleasure boat traffic. That end of Wawasee is more shallow and you have some reeds and cat tails to flip worms at.

"IF" you pre-fish during the day time try puting in at Scracuse it will save you some time and gasoline. Today it just hit 3.55 a gal for reg. gasoline in Goshen. ( Alaskia pipe line excuse, no doubt caused the jump) It's time we elect someone that will start drilling in the frozen artic wasteland and will not bow to the "green" people.

Without gasoline, America will quickly revert to a third world country. Everything will slow down and just stop. Prices will triple on food, water and property. Gasoline prices are like the house built with cards. When the house falls so will the nation's productivity.

We all will be fishing for food, and "rowing" to our spots, Sorry about the rant but I don't own any stock in the Big Oil Co.'s I just grips me. Got to go fishing just to cool down, thanks for the excuse to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand and fully agree!

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't great, but not terrible. Everyone,(9)of us had at least one keeper. We have had worse. It took about 9lb. to win in. No limits caught. Two guys had 4each on Sat. Channels seems to be better than the weed lines. Unfortunatley for me I spent most of my time on the weed lines. Wrong decision I believe. Like you said, to much boat traffic during the day, especially on the weekend. If I had it to do over again, I'd spend the major part of the day in the channels and on docks. I did this a little but was worried about being balled out by a dock owner. However, everyone I spoke to was nice and friendly. All and All it was a good weekend of fishing. Just wish I had done better.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feed back,

A lot of the guys ask for information but we never get to hear "How it went" This board is good, on guys helping each other out. We can make it better by having a follow up dicussion.

I figure "its a good day fishing" if you didn't,,,, have boat problems, no one got a hook in them, nothing got broke ot lost over the side. DNR didn't scare the poop out of you by checking out your craft,

"IF" you fished with friends or family, and returned home safe. What better way to "spend" one of the days that God has given us.

See Ya on the water
    Junior

Post Thanks / Like

i'm going on vacation starting fri and my plans are to fish waswasee a couple of time, you mention the cut, is this north or south of the road bridge? would i be better off to fish day or nite? i prefer nite due to coolere weather and less boat traffic. will the cut still produce during darkness and what lures would you suggest ? thanx for any info that will make this an enjoyable week

Post Thanks / Like

RE-READ THE info Junior posted. It's pretty good from my expierience. You could fish the weed lines on the lakes at night and early before the boat traffic gets going. When it does, I'd go to the deeper channels and fish them, boat docks, garages etc. that's where they guys in our tournament did the best. However, one guy did pretty good on the weed lines closer to the shore on the big lake. I caught several non-keepers early on the main lake on the shallow weeds and docks but no keepers.
    The "cut" I assume he is talking about is the channel between Wawasee and Syracuse. I didn't fish it much except a little toward north end where it opens up with a lilli pad field to the right. It looked good but no luck there. Probaby could be good early but it is pretty shallow. I enjoyed fishing the lake and would go back. but I'd change what I did during the tournament.
    Good luck