Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Southern Indiana

Does anyone fish down Evansville way?? If so, where? I'd like other options other than Blue Grass. Granted, many different lakes but too many secluded ones that it's real work to get to.

Charlie

CatFan96 Guest

RE: Southern Indiana

What do you want to fish for? Do you have a boat, and if so what type?

Post Thanks / Like

Before fall,,, fish Brushcreek Res. just out side of of North Vernon

The State has been working on the dam for approx two ~ three years.

The word was passed around this spring all work will be finished soon. With the flash flooding they are having yesterday and today the water level should be way past normal level. That means great fishing for all the fish moving up into all the weeds that have grown in and all around the last few years, during such a low pool to fix the dam.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to fish for the great large mouth bass. I do have a 16 ft jon boat but I have been workin on it. I'm not sure I can make it all the way over to North Vernon but I will see what I can do. Sounds like it's gonna be a great place to fish. I'd still like to find something a little closer to Evansville though that I can hit after I get off work.
    Thanx for the help and I'll probably find my way to North Vernon.

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

There are many areas of the river that has reasonably good bass fishing. Although you may not want to get in the river with a small john. Theres a nice city lake at Huntingburg, also one at Petersburg. If you have a Ky license you can go to Lake Beshears at Dawson Springs. Lake Malone at Greenville. With fall coming the bass fishing will come back to daytime for those two lakes. If you like creek fishing you can go to Little Pigeon at Yankeetown. Theres a public access ramp there and you can go upcreek for miles to fish. Glendale lake up close to Petersburg is another possibility. Of course theres Patoka which is about an hour and a half away. Those are a few ideas, hope some of them will work for you......

Don

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of strip pits in this area but you may need a small boat that you can drag into them to fish.

Not sure what species of fish you are after or what if any boat you have. If you are after bass, crappie, catfish or bluegills and have a big boat then Patoka Lake is the best spot to fish in Southern IN IMHO. It's about 1.5 hours and 75 miles from Paridise to Newton Stewart or to Walls Boat ramp at Patoka Lake. Take I-164 North to I-64. Go East to exit 75? at State Hwy 145 and take 145 North to Birdeye, IN. Take 64 East to Eckerty, IN and then turn North and Follow 145 North to the Lake. Continue on State Hwy 145 North until you see the sign on the right pointing to Walls Boat Ramp. Fish that area for crappie in the spring and fall. To camp go to the Newton Stewart Entrance. As you are coming up on 145 from Eckerty, IN you will first see the lake on your left. Take the road there to the left and head back West to the Newton Stewart Entrance. You will need to by a yearly or daily park entrance pass at the Gate. And stop by the DNR offices on the right to get another Launching Pass. The DNR office sells them there I am told for 20 bucks. Buy a yearly pass if you plan on fishing Patoka a lot. If not then just get a daily pass for entering the park. I think you MUST have the Lake Enhancement Sticker to fish Patoka. That is the sticker you have to put on the boat itself. Without that sticker you can get fined by the Conservation Officers which patrol the lake and launch ramps. Patoka has over 8800 surface acres of water so there are plenty of places to explore. This time of the year the fishing should be getting good. Water is cooling down and the fish should be moving shallow in the next month. There is a healty largemouth and smallmouth bass population in the lake. The Crappie are getting larger also. There are black and White Crappie in Patoka Lake. Also the Catfish population is expanding and the fishing is said to be good for these fish. There are also hybrid stripers in the lake that grow huge.

Other than Patoka there is Lynville State Park run by the Warrick County Parks Dept. There is a $2.00 per day launch or entry fee or you can purchase a yearly pass for $20. Lynville is full of small bass in the 12" range. I like to fish it with ultralight outfits and 2 to 4 lb test mono lines. Catching the smaller bass on a 5ft ul spinning rod is fun. The bass like the smaller baits in motoroil or greenish brown color. They will also hit a bandit trolled behind the boat going about 1.5 mph. Use a 300 series bandit crank bait and let out about 50 ft of line to get the baits down to about 10ft.

I found three spots that have lots of bass. I found them in just a couple of days using my electronic. Look for shallow water next to deep water and fish the drops. Or fish the back ends of lake where there are some 10ft deep flats that cover part of the WEST END Of the pit.

And don't forget Hovey's lake in Posey County. That is a good Crappie lake.

And Snakey Point just East of Oakland City is said to have some good fishing. That area is mainly shallow and swampy and it's hydrologically connected to the Patoka River. Take some bug spray with you and watch out for snakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Southern Indiana

I grew up hearing from my dad about strip pit fishing around southern Indiana. Last week I was watching a Hank Park show and he was fishing a pit next to Victoria Golf club. The fishing looked good, he was catching good size bass and sounds like a good place to go. Does anyone have any info. on this pit. Public? Ramp? What the fishing is like. Where the heck it is? I live outside of Louisville and fished a lot of the bigger lakes in the area but always wanted to fish a pit.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Southern Indiana

Quote Originally Posted by pullatch View Post
    I grew up hearing from my dad about strip pit fishing around southern Indiana. Last week I was watching a Hank Park show and he was fishing a pit next to Victoria Golf club. The fishing looked good, he was catching good size bass and sounds like a good place to go. Does anyone have any info. on this pit. Public? Ramp? What the fishing is like. Where the heck it is? I live outside of Louisville and fished a lot of the bigger lakes in the area but always wanted to fish a pit.

Here is their website...

http://www.victorianational.com/about.html

You must be a member in order fish the lake.