Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brookville Lake

Post Thanks / Like

Brookville Lake

I am going down to Brookville for the very first time ever this weekend. Any insight on Large or small mouth would be greatly appreciated. I am not tournament fishing this is just a fun weekend out on the lake. I understand that people don't want to post honeyholes or strategies on these boards. So if you are kind enough to offer any advice Please feel free to e-mail me at J_W_Chamness@yahoo.com.

I bought a hot spot map and it say there are musky in brookville?? are they tiger musky or real musky? any insight on the toothed criters would be a bonus.

Thanks and happy fishing!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Brookville Lake

You have mail.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish Brookville quite a bit and can tell you the bite is very tough right now unless you're willing to fish at night. Fished a T there this week and had one bite in 4 hours-a 2.5# smallie which came off a main lake point C-rigging a tube. T was won in the idle zone C-rigging also, so wherever you fish, find deeper water. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, now. No secrets! If we're going to start talking Brookville muskies, pass that information my way, please!

Post Thanks / Like

Well??

Was wondering how ya did? Myself and another friend hit B-Ville around noon on Sunday and rode out the storm only to be rewarded with 27 smallies of which 12 were keepers and one nice greenie. All fish came from 16-28ft. of water.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!!!

Hi Ray, daytime at B-ville has been good to me too this year. I didnt get there this weekend at night had to go to Barren River but I was up there last Tues week during the day. My son and I caught 15 bass between us, biggest about 2 lbs with 8 or 9 keepers total. Same as you we caught most of our fish deep in water 12-25 ft. mostly off steep sloping banks and creek channels.

Night fishing has been good as well and the late summer night bite is just about to get started. The first night we get some cooler temps should really turn them on. Last year I had some of my best night from late August to mid Sept.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Nice!!!

Hey Craig, sorry I didn't call ya a couple weeks ago on our canoe trip. I left your number on my desk. I called home a few times trying to reach the youngest to see if she would fetch it for me. I will be heading back over a few more times as the weather and water cools:P

It was nice to be out for a little while yesterday and even nicer with the fish cooperating.......

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ray and Craig.

Bad news for me on Saturday, we skunked we fished major points and bounced c-rigs t-rigs jigs crankbaits. For a while I thought about just tying the whole tackle box on and seeing what happened. I appreciate all the feed back and information I got, I think it will pay off in the long run. I don't think Saturday was a good day for anyone out there, I don't think I saw anyone pull a fish out all day. We cut out on Saturday late afternoon at the threat of bad weather.

Next time I head down I will let ya know how it goes. Next time I might just troll for walleye if it gets bad.

Thanks again,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, that is the nature of B-Ville. She can be very stingy at times and other times you wonder why you fish anywhere else. If your there on one of the good days you will keep coming back. I have fished that lake for years and have had the smell of skunk on me quite often, but man when it's on over there you can get your arm broken on some nice fish...............

Post Thanks / Like

I could not believe the water clarity. You could see rocks and boulders in almost 18 feet of water. That may have been why they were not biting where I was. Plus the storm front that was coming in, I may have just missed the feeding frenzy before the weather moved in. We spent a lot of time up around the brickyard and the airplane area.

It got really rough in the late afternoon, got a couple of nice scratches in the gel coat on some of the stumps in the Brickyard cove thanks to some ski boats.

I have to say that Brookville has more than its share of idoits out there. Even fisherman would go flying by between the boat and the bank in 25 feet of water. I had a skier come by that I could have hit with an oar. What is Brookville's size requirment on Skiers? If I would have snagged him would I have had to throw him back?

Once again I appreciate all of your help in helping a brookville virgin out, unfortuantly I will have to wait to break my cherry down there. Hopefully I can get into a 20+ day like you had on Sunday.

Thanks again,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, e-mail me on your next intended trip over. If I am off work or it's a weekend I will meet ya there and show ya around. It's alot easier to show ya spots then to try and direct you to em via e-mail.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff, that same water clarity, rocks, boulders and its overload of pleasure boaters is what makes B-ville such a good night fishing lake, kinda a catch 22 LOL!

I have to agree with you on the lack of courtesy on the lake by fisherman and non-fisherman alike. I really try to be courteous to everyone. If theres a boat trolling I try to make sure I don't cross their lines, give other boats as wide a berth as I can, I don't put out a wake in the "No Wake" zone, basically obey all the laws regarding fishing and boating and give the other boaters and anglers as much courtesy as I would like in return. But truthfully I seldom recall getting that kind of courtesy in return.

I also beleive it won't be long until someone is killed out there. The adults pulling kids on tubes on the lower end of the lake going 20-30 mph with a 3-4 ft boat chop and cigarette boats running 90 mph its not a question of whether someone is killed but when. Its hard to see one of those little heads bobbing up and down in calm water never mind the boat chop at B-ville on a weekend afternoon. I see pleasure boaters pulling skiers and everyone in the boat looking back at the skiers, had to blow my horn 1 day as they were heading straight for my boat on the shoreline.

Some of the fisherman are just as bad, like you said I have had alot of fisherman that at least look like they should know better go between me and the shore, throw big wakes that practically thrown you out of the boat, etc. I had one boat pull up on the shoreline I was fishing, turn and come straight toward me on trolling motor. I was a little more than a good cast off shore and he tried to keep on fishing right where I was casting. I tried to ask him if he intended to go between me and the shore but he just ignored me and kept on fishing.

But I agree with Ray, if you take the time to learn this lake you will be hooked on it. Those smalljaws at night are absolutely addicting! And the lake produces some good greenfish to boot! Day fishing can be good too, especially before Memorial Day weekend and after Labor Day weekend. But this year, according to my logs, I have had more daytime success in the summer than in previous years. I think it has to do with the increasing weedbeds. The grass is increasing each year as is the fish population.

I heard a rumor from a trusted source that this years electro shock sampling of the fish population showed that the Smallmouth outnumbered the Largemouth for the first time at Brookville. I believe that is a direct result of the increasing grass. I also believe that when the grass beds reach a level in proportion to the acres of water, the smallmouth and largemouth populations are going to explode, similar to KY Lake in the 80's when the grass beds really took off. I want to know that lake like the back of my hand by then.

I'm heading to the lake Saturday PM and will fish straight through to noon on Sunday, even considering staying up there for Monday as well. I will post a report when I get back.