Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lynnville Lake Today

I hit Lynnville this afternoon from Noon to about 6pm. Water temp was 70.6 to 71.5 depending on where I was at. Caught 12 total with 11 being the normal 10-12 inchers but 1 good 3lb 4ouncer. All came on a white 1/4 oz tandem willow spinnerbait and all were in about 6 inches of water. Right on the bank and every one of them were extremely dark green in color telling me they had been shallow for a while. All came on the windy banks. Tried a couple different cranks and even skipped a fluke under the overhanging cover with no success. Spinnerbait was the ticket. Very fun and enjoyable afternoon. Much better than staying at work.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Lynnville Lake Today

Skipping work and giving us a fishing report. Good for you! Glad you had fun. Lynnville is a nice place to fish. I talked to a guy today that fished Bluegrass Pit and said he also fishes Lynnville and Little Pigeon Creek and catches some nice crappie.

I fished Bluegrass Pit today and only caught four crappie. They were not biting well today.

Had a west wind that made it hard to keep the bait still in one spot for very long without anchoring. Anchoring is a dirty word and lots of work. LOL I like to hover it possible.

I should have fished otter pit

I did catch one 14" bass on the grass flats in about 4ft of water. I found the crappie shallow also. I got 65 deg f temperature readings on my min-kota temp gauge at the back of my boat. That's the newest temperature gauge on my boat and I trust it more. I have to replace the front Min-kota temp gauge soon. It got wet one day and had not been the same yet. Wish they would make them waterproof.

Fish are shallow that is for sure.

Have you ever tried trolling crank baits for bass? Bandit 300 series are perfect for 10 ft deep flats at 2.0 mph and about 50 ft of 10 lb test trilene line out behind the boat.

There was one other fisherman on Bluegrass pit this evening and he said he caught about 15 bass with one about 16" long. That was a short bass but a good one. He said he had a lot of fun though.

It was chilly out today and I needed my Purdue Sweatshirt on and a thermos of coffee to keep me going.

According to the weatherman it's going to rain the next three days.

It was pretty cloudy and windy today and was not the type of day I expected as per yesterdays weather report for today. Today was my worst day this week with only 4 crappie caught.

I caught about 15 or so yesterday and they were all nice size.
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Skip Work to fish????

Not here Moose, I had to go in to work at 2am in the morning to take care of a problem. Worked until Noon then went to the lake for about 5 hours. My skipping will come very soon when I spend a week at Lake Cumberland in October for Stripers then 3 weeks in December at Dale Hollow for Smallies. Still have 23 vacation days to burn by the end of December, might as well fish them away.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about fishing Lynnville this Saturday (9-30) You say you caught most of your fish shallow? There is a cold front coming through on Thursday, dropping high temps. into the 50's for Thursday and back into the 60's for Friday and Saturday. Do you think this will push the fish deeper again or would they stable back out by Saturday?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure but one thing you can do to cover the bases is to fish drops or points that go from shallow water to deep water. The fish have to be somewhere.

I fished Patoka today and only caught to little crappie. Didn't leave the house until 1:00PM and had to stop at the store to get food and gas. Then had to stop at the DNR HQ to buy the lake permit for $20.00. Cost me about 12 gallons of gas at $2.00/gallon for the trip but it was nice to get up there again.

Another guy was fishing for crappie in the same area. Only saw about 3 or 4 boat on the section I fished. I caught my two in about 8 to 10ft of water and the first one was caught near the surface as I was going about 2.0 mph with a little bit of line out. I was fooling around with something and had laid the pole down. I had a minnow rigged on a #2 gold hook with a BPS finesse 1/4 oz lead sinker below the loop knot about 12". Use a 7.5 ft graphite crappie pole with 6lb test Stern line. The fish hit the lure when I was not paying attention. The the other fish I caught was in about 4 to 6 ft of water in the back of a bay. I caught him with a minnow too. Located that fish by casting a Charley Brewer Crappie Slider near a old flooded tree and felt a bite but missed him twice. So I put the tight line rod with the minnow and got that fish to bite one more time and nailed him.

The other guy fishing the other fork in the back of this bay was fishing with a long pole and a minnow under a bobber about 2ft deep. He was fishing the bank and he said he caught 15 nice crappie. One he estimated to be 13" long. He gave me three fish at the end of the day. One I measured at 12" long and it weighted 12 oz. The other fish was about 11" long and then the last fish was 10" long. I didn't weight the other two. But the three were nice fish. He kept the other fish for himself and I never say them. I would think they were the bigger ones though. He said he didn't keep the small ones. I wish I had gotten an earlier start but didn't start fishing until around 3:30pm today. Drove 3 hours and only fished until 6:45PM. It was windy too. Darn weather man said that they had 5 mph wind with temp in the mid 70's on the radio today at noon. So I got fired up to go fishing. But by the time I greased the wheel bearings, Air up the Tires, Packed up, made coffee and did my business it was already 2:30 PM. lol Time flies when you are in a hurry to get to the fishing hole.

So I would say that the fish today were in shallow water. I didn't fish anything deeper than 12 ft. Water was stained to slightly muddy and around 70 deg at the surface in 10 ft of water. I got water temps from 72 to 65 deg in this bay depending on the depth. The other guy said his temp gauge was reading around 70 deg F also.

So after all the rain we had on Sunday the fish are still being found in shallow water near the banks in submerged brush or fallen timber. Lay downs are good to try along the bank at Patoka Lake.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on "Skipping" work Friday afternoon to catch a few more and I will let you know Friday night with another post here. My guess is that they will still be fairly shallow. They may not be in 6 inches of water but I would not think they would be too far away, especially in the afternoon that I plan to fish. I bought a couple of smaller spinnerbaits to fire at them in hopes of landing a few more that followed the monster spinnerbait all the way to the boat the other day.

Post Thanks / Like

It's Friday and it's sunny but cool today. Wear a jacket this morning. I would run up and fish Lynville today but I have an appointment.

I may run up to Patoka Lake this weekend. Saturday Purdue meets NotreDame for college football and it's going to be televised so I need to watch that game if possible. I may setup the VCR to tape the game and then go fishing instead.

Sunday looks ever better and this coming week the weather is going to warm up and get dry. May be a good time to go camping and spend a few days somewhere.

Hope you give a report on how the fishing was at Lynville today if you go.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Ended up going Thursday for about 5 hours late afternoon and fished until dark. I bought a couple of smaller spinnerbaits to take as ammo with me this time and the smallies (that is small bass) loved them. Never caught one bigger than 14" but had 17 fish total. Tried a couple of tricks for larger fish but no takers. Again, a very enjoyable day on the water. I was using a 3/16 oz Booyah spinnerbait with double willow, one white and one chartruese due to a little color on the water. All were extremely shallow again, most in less than 2 foot of water. Going back Saturday morning for some topwater action hoping to entice a big one.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck fishing Saturday. I may head up to Patoka Saturday if it's not raining. Playing it by ear. Still up reading my new cell phones manual trying to figure this thing out. I'll be tired tomorrow but hopefully I'll be connected to my buddy with a new cell phone. LOL

Those bass are fun to catch. I use a ultralight underspin reel (Pflueger Trion GX)and a 5 ft long St. Croix (TRS50ULM) rod. I spooled on 2lb test stren fishing line and tied on a 1.5" long Charlie Brewer Crappie Slider 1/8 oz slider head. Fishing this weedless drives those small bass crazy. The slider body had a flipper like tail that has a lot of action. It goes up and down when retried even slowly and looks very lifelike. I got various slider bodies online and got them for crappie, but it's hard to keep the small bass off them. LOL

Do you fish any of the docks on the SW part of the pit just West of the launch ramp? I have not fished that area in over 25 years but fished it one night with a friend. We didn't know what we were doing night fishing for bass and I kept casting my lures into the trees along the bank. I could not judge the distance in the dark. That was before I found out the people who night fish use UV lights to see the fishing lines. LOL I was very young then and have learned a few things about fishing at night over the last 30 years. That's why I only fish during the daytime now! :)

Post Thanks / Like

I put in Saturday morning at 5am and yes I was the only boat on the lake. Could not belive the water temp was 66 degrees. 66 is unbelievable since it was 71-72 just over a week ago. Friday night was not blistering cold and when I left at 10am it was still 66. Started with a small jitterbug and small buzzbait with 2 "SMALL" blowups but no hookups. Switched to a spinnerbait even before the sun came up and caught 2 immediately. After the sun came up had about 6-7 hits but no hookups. AFter all of these, I decided to put a red stinger hook on the back and the first cast another, then a couple cast later another. All of these are about 10-12 inches, not to mention I caught about 10 rockbass during the same time on the same spinnerbait. (These rockbass need to be weeded out severely and I know of 10 today that were weeded). Never saw any morning bust and never saw any good pockets of shad anywhere. Moved to deeper water and fished some deep points, dropoffs, and other cover and structure with a jig and caught nothing UNTIL I flipped my jig out in the very end of a tree that was in deeper water. Jigged it a couple of times and then it felt funny, dropped my rodtip and the bait moved so I laid the hammer. Rod bent DOUBLE and my first thought was "Lake Record (Whatever that is) Coming In". Then after 3 cranks of the reel, CATFISH. AFter the struggle of getting this thing to the top, I put her on the scale, 9.5 pounder. Back in the water she goes and I am left to clean up the slime. Went back shallow shortly thereafter and caught a few more of the usual, then the thunder came in so I took out. Backed the trailer down the ramp just as the first few raindrops hit the Explorer.

It is a shame that with all the cover and structure on this lake that it has been let go and not managed by fish and wildlife. Yes, I know the facilities could not hold any amount of boat traffic so if the lake ever did become a good fishery then a new ramp and parking area would be next but it would be nice to weed out the rockbass and some of these smaller Largemouths to give the fish a fighting chance to get big. I have been told there are some giants in this lake and I can see why. I have caught probably 300 bass out of Lynnville since last year with 1 - 5 pounder, 2 - 3 pounders, and a few more over 2 but all the rest have been under the 14 inch lake size limit. Not a pro by all means, but I think I know what I am doing and to see a lake with the potential to produce some really good fish become a glorified pond is sad. Just wish there was somewhere close to home other than the river to wet a line.

Post Thanks / Like

Good report. I enjoy reading your fishing reports.

I stayed home Saturday. I stayed up all night Friday and until about6 am Saturday before I finally fell asleep. I was going to go up to Patoka Saturday but without sleep I didn't want to drive up there and back 9 hours later when I would have been a zombie. So I stayed home and didn't take a nap so that I could get to sleep early Saturday night. I went to Patoka Lake Today Sunday. Fishing from about 10 am to 6:30 pm. Caught one small crappie, one 5 or 6lb cat fish and one 12" long large mouth Bass. Fished with my friend that say this spot was hot a week ago. Guess the rains we got last week cooled the water down. His temperature gauges on his trolling motor's transducer was reading 69 deg F. I had readings from 69 Deg F up to 72 deg F depending on what part of the bay I was fishing. The back ends of the bay was warmer today. I guess all the sunshine warmed the surface waters up again in the shallower areas. The deeper waters remained around 70 to 69 deg F at the Surface. I was again too lazy to get the deep thermometer out and use it. Maybe next trip. Water still needs to cool down into the 50's before the crappie start to turn on.

I did have another experience while fishing the shallow waters. I was using an ultra light outfit with 2lb test line and a charlie brewer crappie slider 1/8Oz head and 1.5" long slider in purple color. Added a drop of two of Dr. Juice. I was fishing in about 3 ft of water when I saw a big fish sitting along the bottom near the bank. He was right in the weeds but easy to see. He was as big as the one catfish I caught in 30ft of water right on the bottom earlier that afternoon. This fish was shallow and it was after 3:30 pm. Schools of 3" long or smaller Gizzard Shad were everyone in the back of this bay. The back 1/3 of the bay had shad everywhere from 25 ft deep water to 2ft deep water. All shad were schooling at the surface from what I could tell. Didn't see many bass or crappie busting these shad though. But this one catfish was pretty big so I threw a slider at him and tried to get him to bite. No luck. Then later I was fishing the same bank and went further out toward the mouth of the bay and had one big catfish follow my slider to the boat. He turned away at the last minute when he saw the boat. He was about 15 to 18" long. I was sort of glad that he didn't grab my bait as I know he would have broken my line and got away with my slider head and grub. LOL The other catfish I caught on another heavy duty crappie rod that has a lot of backbone. And it was loaded with 6lb test stren line and a nice new spinning reel with a good drag system. I had to loosen the drag several times and then re tighten it back up while fighting this big cat. It took me about 10 minutes to get him to the surface from 30 ft depths so that I could see what I had hooked into. Boy did he put of a strong fight. I ended up having to net that catfish to bring it into the boat. I really should have let it go as I don't eat catfish that big. It took up all the room in my live well . LOL

Wish the fish had been biting better. It was 80 Deg F this afternoon and bright blue skies with little wind until late in the afternoon. We fished this bay the entire day. My buddy caught about 15 crappie off two brush piles. He was using a spider rig system and slow trolling for suspended crappie that were caught about 10ft below the surface over brush in 22 ft of water.
    Regards,

Moose1am