Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Putting on the Feed!

Anyone else notice the fish's stomach full of small shad this time of year? I have been fishing all summer long and not until lately have the fish been so aggressive. If I get in the right spot I find that I catch one fish after another. If I were using jigs I think I could catch a limit in just 30 minutes or so. I am fishing with big minnows now. Either Big Rosy Reds (Orange colored fathead minnow) or big 2" long shiners. So I have to bait the hook which slows me down a little bit.

All the crappie that I have caught in the last two weeks have had their stomachs full. In fact they are so distended that when I fillet them I can't help but to cut into the stomach. Yuck! I don't like getting the stomach contents all over the fish fillets, but it's nearly impossible this time of year to not cut into the stomach.

I guess when the stories say that fish are putting on the feed getting ready for winter they are not joking around.

This is a great time of the year to crappie fish.

Pretty soon the duck hunters are going to take over Bluegrass Fish and Wildlife area. I may have to start duck hunting again. Nope, I'd rather be fishing.

Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Putting on the Feed!

Bass are still hitting spinnerbaits.

This weather has been about 15F lower than normal for many days now, and its going to continue.

That is going to accelerate the slow down.

Long cold rain coming, that could really cool down the water.

Post Thanks / Like

The west 2/3 of Dogwood lake at Glendale F W A will be open to fishing until Nov. 21 then the waterfowl hunters do their thing.If you are not familiar with the lake the W. 2/3 are from the launch ramp to just past the campground. Rumor is the crappie are biting.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to take my retired father to dogwood and I have been on the lake 1 time in my life(this summer for 1 day with my wife bluegill fishing). Dad/I would either crappie/bluegill fish. When you mentioned the launch ramp I assume you are talking about the main launch ramp and where is(which direction) the campground? When we were there this summer we went straight out through the channel(about 100yds) then went "left". Would that be the correct? We live about 4hrs north and would possibly come down the 1st weekend on November if things work out? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

No one else answered.....so I will.

Yes, that is correct........At the end of the channel, past the campground, 2 creeks come together. If you can find that "Magical spot", you will DEFINITELY catch some nice crappies. Also, along the Left creek channel, there is LOTS of timber. This is another great spot for fall crappie.

Finally, Be sure to hit the area directly in front of the campground cove. This area is overlooked, but you can find the creek channel, and generally catch crappies there..........

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Geo,
    Thank you for the reply. Hopefully we will be able to get out with the boat again before the eoy? We will be out together 8-10 more times on the pond so we are not done yet. Also, we used to make 4-5 trips a year to Boggs to bluegill fish and since it has declined we decided this year to spend a day on dogwood and that was the only time I have been there. I am not looking for anyones spots just some general information about the lake.

I went to your site and didn't spend a lot of time there but we too have been to the Ely/BWCA multiple times in the past and we currently cross the border at I/Falls and spend the 1st week in June on LOTW. Like you we primarily fish for smallmouth on our trip but we catch about everything. The neatest thing about the trip this year(besides spending it with my father) the smallouth were biting topwater baits,
    COOL!!!!!!!! I would be happy to share stories if you want.

Thanks,Max