Search Fishin.com

Thread: Lowrance 332c

Post Thanks / Like

Lowrance 332c

Does anybody been having trouble with this unit. I purchased this Depth finder/GPS last year and had nothing but trouble with it. when im going down the lake the thing just shuts off. i have checked all my connection and everything checked out ok. i sent it into Lowrance once and the sent me a new one. The new unit is doing the same thing. so i just sent it back to Lowreance Just wondering if anybody else has had any trouble with this unit besides me. any imput would be great. Thanks in advance.

Basserd

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Lowrance 332c

If you have tried two new units and they both acted up in the same way then that tells us something. What do they both have in common on your boat?

Are they both hooked up to the same battery? If so then what other equipment is running off that battery? Could your alternator on the motor be putting out too much voltage or amps? That may cause the unit to shut off or to blow a in line fuse. You did install a fuse in-line to protect the depth finder.

Another thing they probably have in common in is the TRANSDUCER. Where is the transducer located or mounted on your boat? It maybe that you are getting air bubbles between the transducer's face and the water. You might have someone drive your boat and increase speed while you have a look at the transducer while the boat is moving. You may have to hang your head off the back end of the boat to see how the water flows by the transducer.

If you have an aluminum boat with rivets they will produce air bubbles and you may find that the transducer is in some turbulent water. You may look at the back of the boat while it's underway and find some more laminar water flows and mount the transducer in that area of your transom.

Some transducer need to be mounted a little bit deeper in the water to ensure good contact with the water at all boat speeds and plane angles.

Read the manual and study the parts that talk about the transducer and how it works and where it's mounted.

Those are just two ideas that come to my mind.

There is a slim possibility that both the units were defective in the same way. That could have been the reason but I would bet on the transducer mounting position or some electrical interference coming from something else running on your boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello , I dont have the same unit but I have had trouble with many different sonar units - if your connections are all good it may be your tranducer . I called tech suppport for my Bottom Line DF and he talked me through how to check for errors . Maybe call them on your cell then take the boat out , call them back , and have them help . Or maybe just return the whole works and get a different model .
    Tight lines !

Post Thanks / Like

Im not talking about the depth finder not working im talking about then entire unit shuts off. When it shut off you cant get the unit back on with out unpluggin the power cable then pluggin it back in.

Basserd

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it may be more complex problem then. May have to get another model if this keeps happening.

You did check your wiring and all the connectors and also to see if anything else is hooked up to the same power supply that could be causing the unit to shut off. Maybe there is a power surge going though the power line to the unit and the unit is shutting down to protect itself. Just guessing.

I think it may be time to send it to the factory again.

I have a humminbird unit that has been working great for me since 1986. It stopped working on me two weeks ago and I had to take it apart and solder a loose wire back into place. That was the positive wire on the inside of the unit where the power plug connects to the unit. The unit won't work with 12 v DC power in the right amp range.

Sounds like you may want to call Lowrance and see what they suggest. Since this is your second unit that did the same thing.

Regards,

Moose1am