Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

March 29, 2007 - Kentucky Lake

Hello All,

I have amassed a group of 12 anglers of varied skills to go to Kentucky Lake the weekend of March 29 next year.

I want to target largemouth and smallmouth bass, anyone with any tips on where to launch out of to keep us in the best areas for smallmouth?

thanks,
    topwater

Post Thanks / Like

RE: March 29, 2007 - Kentucky Lake

From what I know about KY lake Smallmouth is they occur on the LBL side of KY lake more than the western parts. At least that's what my dad told me about KY lake in the Cypress Bay area. Piney campground is close to some of the bays that dad said he caught smallies in Oct and Nov. We fished mostly for largemouth. Our boat was too small to cross the lake when the wind's got up so we only ventured across the lake to the LBL side on very calm days. Panther creek is suppose to hold some smallmouth. I fished for them in that bay about 3 or 4 times total and we never caught one small mouth when I was fishing with Dad. So take this information as that of someone with a small amount of experience in trying to catch a smallie.

I have caught a few KY bass on the bluffs at the North side of Crypres Bay. Cypress Bay is a smaller bay but it's fishable when the winds are up out on the main lake. And if the wind lays down the mouth of this bay has some very interesting structure. Fort Donaldson sits atop a very steep rocky bluff overseeing the old TN river channel. In fact the River Channel swings over very close to this bluff. There are stair stepping rocks that drop all the way down into the old river channel. I know that at time the KY bass will come in there in school. Sometimes they will come right up to the bank in only 5 to 10 ft of water. The shoreline just North of this bluff has pea gravel along the bank if that tells you anything. Panther creek and some of the other rockey bays are North of the entrance to Cypress Creek or Cypress Bay and across the lake. Cypress Bay is right on the TN/KY State Boarder. They sell beer in TN across the bay. So if you stay on the KY side it's just a short ride across the lake to get beer.

Post Thanks / Like

You might consider staying around the north end of Ky Lake near the canal area. The reason being you will have the choice of a quick launch to either Ky Lake or Lake Barkley. The wind can dictate pretty quick that time of year where you can and cannot fish and if you get a north or south quadrant wind Ky Lake can be mean...if you are on the north end, then you may find that a quick launch into Barkley can save your fishing day rather than having to travel any long distance.

Target the smallmouth on pea gravel points primarily on Ky Lake where either the river channel or old creek channels run in close. Try the rocky points for Largemouth. This is also a good time of year to try for a trophy Largemouth back shallow in the creeks or bays of either lake if you get a nice warm day.

If you are not familiar with these lakes let me warn you to be careful in your navigation as the lakes are normally at winter pool or just above winter pool at the end of March. Also make sure you get a wind forecast before getting on the lakes...Ky especially can go from flat water to big rollers in a short amount of time..don't forget the weather forecast either...storms can come up quick, especially in the spring and you don't want to get caught out in a bad one with a long run to safety.

Not sure if you are going to the Indy Boat Show or not but I will be doing seminars there again at the Feb Boat, Sport and Travel show and if you stop by I would be happy to talk to you about my lakes.

By the way, I am on break right now from my guide service before I have to go on the road next month to do seminars so if you want to call me and talk one on one about fishing here I don't mind at all. I don't give out specific spots because it wouldn't be fair to my clients for me to do that but I would be more than happy to talk to you about the patterns and suggest lures etc...270-354-5039

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave,

I will give you a call, some of the guys plan on hiring a guide, and I was going to recommend your service to them.

I will also be going to the boat show this year. Last year, I couldn't make it to the show. I had the crushed left leg (auto accident 12/22/05)and didn't get well enough to fish until June.

We are taking 4 boats, but I am not sure how many boats want a guide. Probably 2, the first day we are there, just for orientation.

thanks for the reply, will give you a call soon.

topwater.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember now about your accident...glad to hear you up and at em again. Be glad to take some of your group out....but they need to contact me pretty soon or I won't have any date(s) available. I am already booked on the 28th and 29th but still have the 30th and 31st available. Give me a call and we will talk about the fishing then...I am home pretty much everyday right now. If you call and I don't answer I am probably just out for a bit....leave a message and I will call you back.
    Dave