Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

GUNTERSVILLE IN EARLY MARCH

GOOD MORNING
    I'M GOING TO BE FISHING AS A COANGLER ON GUNTERSVILLE MARCH 12 AND SINCE I'VE NEVER EVEN SEEN THAT LAKE AND I'M TRAVELING FROM NORTHERN ILLINOIS I WOULD LIKE A BIT OF ADVICE. WHAT KIND OF FISHING SHOUD I EXPECT AND WHAT KIND OF TACKLE SHOULD I BRING . THANK'S IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: GUNTERSVILLE IN EARLY MARCH

Howdy to ya'll. (1st post)
    From what I can tell some nice folks on this b may copy/paste any of 40 to 500 previous posts with the best intentions.

Bring as many rods and reels you are comfortable with, but I'd limit that to leaving the finnese rigs at home! 6-8lb test on a m - mh rod if your "very experienced" might see more action, but you stand a big chance of loosing fish. Also bring your personal "confidence baits". They may work when nothing else does.

Depending on where you go you could be teasin a sow on her bed this time of year (Mar). Spool up with braided - 20 - 30 lb or more and look fur big'ns. Lot's a guy's like Yum Dingers or Senko's and tops early late - boy dat shur doz sound like 30%+ of what I red here.

We're coming down to Big-G about a month later. Still, I've learned a great deal from reading through this forum. Have you checked posts this time of year last year? (Not saying I ain'guna ask bunches a q's wen times git'n closer.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: GUNTERSVILLE IN EARLY MARCH

I would bring medium to heavy baitcasting tackle and leave the light stuff at home. I rarely use line under 15# test on Guntersville ... unless I'm crappie fishing. My go to baits in March are a jig 'n pig, a rat'L trap, and a suspending jerk bait. Later in the month, when it is warmer, I fish a weightless Yum Dinger (Senko type bait). February and March are the best months to put a double digit bass in the boat. It is not unusual to weigh in a best five over 30 pounds that time of year. A 20 pound sack usually won't get you a check. Good Luck and catch some big 'uns!