Search Fishin.com

mfrag Guest

First time at Guntersville

Planning on fishing March 10-14. I'm interested in bass and crappie. I've heard that one wants to be in the upper part of the lake this time of year or in the backs of creeks. Is this always true? Do the bass start spawning in Guntersville at this time of year? What about the crappie? Any info would be much appreciated. We plan on staying at the state park campground.

mfrag

Post Thanks / Like

RE: First time at Guntersville

Fish are caught all over the lake this time of year, however the upper part of the lake tends to warm up a little faster because it is generally shallower.
    Yesterday afternoon I finally got to fish for the first time this year from 1:00 - 5:00 PM ... then I towed a broken down boater back to the ramp. Water temps in the state park area and northward were 52-54 degrees which means bass are staging or in Pre-Spawn mode. I didn't find any keeper bass willing to bite ... the bright sunshine may have turned them off??
    Crappie should be getting ready to spawn when the moon gets right. Look for a combination of wood / weeds for the best crappie action. You should be able to find a few slabs in the tree tops along Town Creek, a mile or two upstream from where you are staying ... not many weeds back in there though. I like the City Park or County Park areas in Scottsboro for numbers of big crappies.

mfrag Guest

Thanks for the info Shadlips. I'm new to Alabama (moved to Montgomery recently) and haven't fished too much since I've been here. I'm from Kentucky and my Dad will be coming down from Ky. I figured Guntersville is between the two of us and is renowned for its fishing so we may as well give it a try. Hopefully this will be the first of many good trips.

Have you ever fished Jordan or Martin? These are both closer to Montgomery and I'll be fishing them soon too.

Thanks again for your info.

mfrag

Post Thanks / Like

I've never tried Jordan or Martin. Frankly, the fishing is so good in the Tennessee River chain of lakes (Guntersville, Wheeler, Wilson, Pickwick) that I seldom fish elsewhere, unless I'm chasing a species not found in this area.