Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Pumped for G-ville

I'm from St. Louis, MO and haven't fished anywhere south of the Lake of the Ozarks. I can't wait to get down to Guntersville and try some southern bass fishing. From what I have read, this lake sounds like it has a really interesting habitat to fish compared to what I'm used to. I hear that at this time of year, you want to try to make your way north on the Big G. I'm going to be staying at the state park, which is about half way up the lake. Will the fishing be pretty good there, or do should I start off going up north?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Pumped for G-ville

When are you coming? The State Park is in the lower portion of the lake. The lake is 65 miles long and over 69,000 acres. The park is approximately 10 miles upstream from the dam. The lake is full of 4-8 pound bass, but due to its size and the thousands of acres of weeds, it can be a little intimidating, to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm coming the next weekend and staying for a week. I have actually fished Kentucky Lake a couple of times and it is kind of like Guntersville in the fact that it is elongate and completely weeded out, but it is a very rocky lake with bluffs and stuff like that. If the fishing is shallow at G-ville I should be able to get on some fish, because I'm used to pounding the bank with Missouri fishing. Otherwise, I will be pretty impatient and clueless as to what I'm doing!!

Post Thanks / Like

If you pound the banks in Guntersville, you'll be getting plenty of casting practice ... very little fish catching though. A rule of thumb here is keep your boat in 6-13 feet of water and cast toward shallow water. If you're beating the banks, you'll either be on top of the fish or fishing on the wrong side of the boat ... most of the time. Buy an Atlantic brand map of Guntersville Lake and search out fishy looking areas. Then watch your depthfinder for "new weed growth" in those areas and you'll be headed in the right direction. Good Luck!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, thanks for the tips. This sounds good to me. I usually like to position myself in about 12-15ft of water away from the shore and make long casts to the bank (or at least close to it) with plastics and work them until they are at an angle behind the boat so I cover the deeper stuff behind me too. I can't wait to get down there hopefully pull out some big Alabama largemouths. Four to five pounders are usually pretty hard to come by in Missouri waters!

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from G weekend. If you have never fished grass and I mean thick grass then be prepaired. You will be picking grass off every cast but, it is worth it. And by the way leave the spinning rods at home. Heavy or MH rods. Fast reels and HEAVY line. If you not getting in grass you are not catching fish. Listen to ol'Shadlips he knows what he is talking about.
    I found that the people at Goose Pond were very helpful and make a HECK of a hamburger. Great place for lunch. If I could only take one bait.....LV500 Red Spring craw. Any red rattle trap type will work though. Good luck guys and be safe. If I can help in any way let me know.

Junktro

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad you caught a few. Did you get any big 'uns?

Post Thanks / Like

I went on lurenet.com and spent a rediculous amount of money on Cordell Super Spots and Suspending Super Spots. Have any of you guys tried the suspending ones? It didn't seem like a bad idea to me. Those Lucky Crafts are way out of my price range. At least I'm on the right track with the lipless trend down there.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been wearing 'em out for a few years on suspending spots and 'traps. Lucky Craft baits are expensive, but worth every penny though!

Post Thanks / Like

We cought a few 5's. Had a blast.