Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guntersville report March 11 & 12

I fished Saturday afternoon from 2:30 PM - dark ... then again Sunday from 6:45 AM until 12:30 PM with only average results.

Saturday I fished North Sauty Creek with a friend and found water temps to be 59 - 66 degrees .... not a typo ... 66 DEGREES !! The fish we found that were willing to bite were in 64 degree water, a couple of them hit a spinner bait and the rest were caught on suspending red Cordell Spot in 3-5 feet of water. We caught 7 total fish with the largest weighing 3 lbs and a couple of 2-3 lb fish ... Best five about 11 pounds in 3.5 hours.

Sunday we fished the Roseberry Creek area around Scottsboro City and County Parks. Water temps through the morning in the creek were 59.5 - 64 degrees with a little more stain in the water than in North Sauty. At first we found several crappie willing to bite 'traps and size 128 Lucky Craft Pointers ... not a typo there either! We searched around for a while and only found one keeper and some 13 - 14" bass, so we headed out to the river to see what was going on. We found 56 - 57 degree water in and around the main channel.

I almost had the rod snatched from my hands fishing the back side of a hump with a suspending spot, but I managed to lose the fish somehow. We moved downstream to a small cove and I missed a few more solid bites with the suspending spot. They only hit it during a long pause, after working it vigorously, but each fish came unbuttoned immediately. (short strikers?)

We finally decided to go back to the area where we started the day because the water was warmer there. We started fishing where we first found the crappie and schooling shad that morning and started working toward shallower water. I switched to a Lucky Craft Flash Minnow and started thumping them. It seemed to be working just over the tops of the growing hydrilla. I still had a few short strikers that I missed, but a long pause was the key for most of the fish that were caught. We never found any good quality fish, or should I say landed any quality fish, but found plenty of 1 - 3 pound bass that were willing to bite in 3 - 5 feet of 64 degree water. For the day we landed about 16 total bass with a best five just over 12 pounds, most of them being caught in the last 70 minutes. We left 'em biting ... Had to go do the "family thing" for the rest of the afternoon in order to keep some "peace and tranquility" around the house. Not a banner spring day for the big G, but it sure felt good getting my "string stretched"!!

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Guntersville report March 11 & 12

I definitely appreciate this report. Sounds promising to me. There are several of us heading that way this coming Friday. I'll be happy just to be catching fish!