Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Athens, Alabama Area

I am a school teacher/basketball coach here in Indiana. I am toying with the idea of relocating south. I want to fish all year around. Whats this area like? There are a couple of jobs open in Limestone County. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Athens, Alabama Area

You will have the lower part of Wheeler Lake and Wilson Lake very close to you.

Wilson has fantastic smallmouth fishing year round. Six and seven pound smallies are often caught there and bigger ones are there for the taking. Four and five pound smallies are common.
    Wheeler offers a mixed bag with a good smallmouth population on the lower end and good largemouth fishing everywhere. It also has a great population of huge catfish and stripers. The sauger, crappie, and bluegill fishing "ain't nothing to sneeze at" either.

You will be near Pickwick, which is world famous for its smallmouth. I personally catch bigger smallies in Wilson though.

An hours drive east will put you in Guntersville Lake which has world class largemouth fishing and a tremendous crappie population, which gets very little attention. It makes everyones top five list for best bass lakes in the world ... most folks top three list.

The water seldom gets hard here, and if it ever does ... only for a few weeks at the most. It has been well over a decade since we've had any hard water. I never "winterize" my boat because I fish all year. If great fishing has an impact on your relocation, you'd be hard pressed to find a better area.