Fishing Tip of the Week, Lake Guntersville 7/23/2006

The biggest change in the upcoming week of fishing will be the weather; it should cause a pattern change that will be positive for fishing. Fish are definitely bunching up more, as they should this time of year. My suggestion is to continue to fish, grass ledges, and grass points, deep river channel side grass irregularities inside or backside channel edges all in proximity to deep water. As usual this time of year work hard on that spot when you get a bite. Continue to try some different things, in that same area. Back off, throw deep-diving crank bait, go even deeper with a jig of heavy worm but don’t leave a bite until you are sure you have worked several depths around the bite. I have found that the first bite is just the beginning, and if you get worm or jig or crank-bait fished down to 25 ft. or so there is more active fish to be caught.
The Carolina rig worm should also work well but fish it correctly this bait needs to be dragged through these ditches, as I have stated before. Throw it out there 40 to 50 yards crank it twice to tighten it up and pull it along so it keeps contact with the bottom in these ditches, with your trolling motor for a good 75 yards or more. This leaves the bait in the strike zone for a long time, and allows the bait to do the work.
I believe the best bite will still come from flipping only try to get out a little deeper into 9 feet of water where the grass is well under the water. This deeper flipping bite has paid off for me all week and should continue this week.
Well I hope to see you on the river, in what might be a little cooler weather. I’d love to take you fishing and experience Lake Guntersville with me. I am booked Tuesday and Wednesday of this week the rest is wide open. Thank you for reading my “Tip of the Week” I hope this is productive, interesting and helpful for you.

Fish Lake Guntersville Guide Service
www.fishlakeguntersvilleguideservice.com
Email: bassguide@comcast.net
256 759 2270
Mike