Search Fishin.com

Thread: Stripers

Post Thanks / Like

Stripers

I am new to Alabama and I am looking to catch some big stripers (20+ lbs)! But, I dont have a clue on where to go. Any idea's?

mfrag Guest

RE: Stripers

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-05 AT 11:09PM (EST)[/font][p]According to my Delorme Alabama Atlas and Gazetteer they are in the following bodies of water;

Alabama River
    Coosa River
    Gainesville Lake
    Jones Bluff
    Jordan Lake
    Lake Demopolis
    Lake Tuscaloosa
    Lewis Smith Lake
    Logan Martin Lake
    Martin Lake
    Mitchell Lake
    Mobile River
    Tallapoosa River
    Tennessee River
    Tensaw River
    Weiss Lake
    Wheeler Lake

They may not be limited to these bodies of water however.
    And unfortunely, I've never caught a fish (of any kind) in Alabama (I'm new to the state) so all I can say for certain is what the book says.

mfrag

Post Thanks / Like

Its just not like lake cumberland mfrag.

mfrag Guest

Yeah, there are a lot more places to hunt the striper around here according to what I've heard. In Ky, Cumberland and the Ohio are pretty much the only places although I think they may have put them in Herrington too. Jordan and Martin are less than an hour away from me, so hopefully I'll be able to make some trips there soon. I would like to hit a couple of the creeks for some float trips but I think it has rained near my house everyday I've been in this state.

So are you in Alabama yourself Steve-o or are you just visiting?
    I do wish there was more posting on the Alabama board. I keep finding myself reading he Ky board everyday even though I'm not
    in the state anymore. Good luck with the stripers.

mfrag

Post Thanks / Like

I am in the process of negotiating with a company but it looks highly likely I will be there in September. I will be in the Birmingham area. I believe Lake Lewis Smith is the big striper lake for the state. Where are you at, and what part of Kentucky are you from?

mfrag Guest

I'm in Montgomery right now and, assuming I like the new job, I'll be here for a while. I start in two weeks so I still have a little time to scout out some new fishing holes. I've been bogged down with painting the new house and other things one does with a new place. I just graduated from UK with my doctorate in mathematics. I was in Lexington so long I usually tell people I'm from there when they ask. But, I actually grew up in Louisville and then spent a few years in Shelbyville. I primarily fished the Elkhorn Creek while in school. I've also spent many days fishing Guist Creek Lake. I've probably fished more than half the lakes in the state with the exception of some in the Eastern part of the state. I really miss the smallmouth and it looks like I'm going to have to get used to it since Alabama's smallmouth are in the northern part of the state (Tennessee River drainage) from what I can tell. I'm only a half hour or so away from Jordan and Martin both of which have stripers. A new boat is in my near future and I plan on setting it up with downriggers to fish for the stripers. I'm still hoping to find something like the Elkhorn though, even if for largemouth only. If you end up in Birmingham then we'll be a little over an hour apart. We might have to hook up for a trip. Enjoy Ky while you can.

mfrag

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds good, I will give you a yell as soon as I know. I should be down there Thursday to review the contact and then give me a month or so to get the new house in order. My boat is in Indiana right now at my families home. I love to fish Kentucky, but I live in Lancaster, PA. currently.

mfrag Guest

Oh no! You're a Hoosier! Just kidding. I've hung out with Ray Rigby (used to be a fishin.com regular but haven't heard from him in a while) and several others from Indiana while fishing Dale Hollow in the winter for smallies. Or should I say while floating in a boat in the dead of winter on Dale Hollow while everybody else was catching the hell out of smallies. I've fished Patoka a couple of times and several small lakes in the Hoosier National Forest. Indiana seems to be one of those states that has a lot of diversity in their fishing, yet I always hear people complaining about the quality of fishing in Indiana and complaining about the DNR. Any thoughts?

mfrag

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-05 AT 10:39AM (EST)[/font][p]Hey guys. (frag, you deserter).
    I'm in Kentucky now, but I used to live in Huntsville. I worked with a lot of guys who fished Smith Lake. It's a deep mountain lake. Big smallies, and good stripers. My friend held the line class record for stripers, 17 lb 6oz on 6lb test. Another guy broke it 3 days later! I'd give this place a try.
    Steve

mfrag Guest

Lewis Smith really isn't too far from me. I'll have to give that one a try. Thanks for the tip. Oh, and about being a deserter.... I'll still be rooting for the Cats and Cards come basketball and football season! I really did hate to leave the state but I got to go where the job is at. Alabama is treating me good so far.

mfrag

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been stripe fishin on smith lake for around 15 years and the cold weather fishing for strip is very good.we troll for them when the water temp cools down.they can be found around smith lake park. they come to the shalower water. by trollin with the deep diveing cotton cordell redfins and hellbenders you can cover alot of water and hook into some pretty big strippers.