Search Fishin.com

Thread: Wilson Lake Ala

Post Thanks / Like

Wilson Lake Ala

Was wondering if anyone could give me some info on Wilson Lake. Heard it was a great lake for Smallmouth.
    Thanks,
    TCB

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Wilson Lake Ala

Will if you want to drift shad below Wheeler Dam I heard they are hitting okay there now. I'd probably hire a guide if I've never done that before below wheeler Dam (can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing).

The fishing on Wilson is pretty slow now because of the cool down that's happening on the lake in the last couple of weeks. Water temperature is around 63 degrees over most of the lake now.

I friend of mine and I have been fishing Wilson the last few Fridays and have managed to catch a good number of bass but nothing big to brag about.

The key for us has been to find the huge schools of shad in the backs of the creeks and cast small 3/8 ounce H&H type spinerbaits at them once the bass bust the shad schools.

There are millions of shad in schools all over the lake now and finding the right ones is the key.

If I did not see schools of shad and fish chasing them I would not waste my time fishing there and move on to the next school of bait fish.

Good luck,

BassinBob....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BassinBob for the info.
    Is Wilson really as awesome a smallie lake as
    I'm being told?
    TCB

Post Thanks / Like

Well at times it can be if you really know the lake. My personal best there is a 6.25 on 4 pound test with a "Sassy Shad". I was casting the lure to rock bluffs and letting it fall when the big smallie hit. Since I was in about 35 feet of water. I just backed off the drag and let the fish play it's self out.

You may know that Wilson was once the home of the world record smallmouth somewhere in the 10.8 pound range. But this was back in the 50's.

Most of my big smallies (7.00 is my best) came off Pickwick. But to be honest with you the smallmouth fishing in this area is NOT what it once was. In the late 80's and early 90's it was nothing to catch 5 to 6 pounders pretty regular. But I think with all the attention and the B.A.S.S. and F.L.W. tournaments it has hurt the fishing.

Another thing is that the guides in this area have mostly gone to live bait fishing and allowing their clients to carry the big breeding fish out of the lakes. It's hard for me to catch the big smallies I once did.

Back to Wilson, I did get a 5+ there this year but to be honest with you I don't fish as much as I once did. I have totally quit night fishing because of all the boats on the lakes at night. And because I now wear glasses and I don't have the night vision I once had.

Jerkbait fishing can be good at times on Wilson if you hit everything right. In the "old" day we fished the Rebel "Sinking Minnows" along the steeper bluffs and caught a lot of good smallies. This was before we had the LC Pointers and other modern jerkbaits.

Grubs "3" & "4" inch in smoke and smoke glitter on 1/4 ounce leadheads are also good on this lake. As well as crankbaits and the old stand by jig and pig. As with any lake there are no promises and you'll have to really work to find good fish on this lake. At times it can be great and others it can be the "Dead Sea".

The one thing I would tell you is to make sure you are around schools of shad!

Good luck and let me know how you do on Wilson.

BassinBob....
    WWW.LBLURES.NET

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks BassinBob,
    I was told that Wilson was an amasing Smallie lake and was just inquiring. Actually if you were going to recommend a smallie lake in your neck of the woods what would it be?
    Thanks,
    TCB

Post Thanks / Like

Well it would actually depend what what you like to fish with (lures).

If you like live bait fishing (drifting shiners and yellowtails) then I'd say below either Wheeler Dam or Wilson Dam.

If you like to fish cranksbaits and jerkbaits, I'd have to pick Wilson or maybe even Wheeler Lakes.

If you like bucktails, grubs, tubes, etc. then I'd fish Pickwick.

All these lakes are very very current selective lakes. If there is no current, then you can forget catching the smallies on these lakes.

There are a couple of other lakes in the area that I like to fish for smallies. These would be Little Bear Creek in Franklin County, Alabama and Cedar Creek. Those these lakes are not good for the big sized smallies. They are more like the northern lakes. Steep rock banks and points. Deep underwater structure and shallow flats.

If I was coming to one of the local lakes for a chance at a big smallie. I would choose the last two weeks of April and fish Pickwick.

To be honest with you there are no telling how many 5 to 6 pounders I've caught on this lake this time of the year.

BassinBob....