Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tip of the Week, Lake Guntersville

Fishing Tip of the Week, Lake Guntersville 1/07

I believe this up-coming week will produce some great catches of bass. The weather is cooperating, the rain should muddy the water up and the days will lengthen by about another 8 minutes. The biggest thing I believe is that when the bass start going in motion for the pre spawn they don’t stop. Severe changes in the weather will only slow them slightly; but doesn’t stop the progress. Because of that I think you should find a combination of fish moving shallow and a staying deep. This says to me that you will catch fish continually on a variety of baits, and in various stages of the winter fishing patterns.
    I would look for stained water to find shallow fish, and humps for the bigger ones. The 8 to 10 feet edges of the humps will produce big bites get those big worms and jigs out. The smaller fish moving up will produce numbers on traps, spinner-baits, and small worms. Fish the humps from the deep edges and reverse and fish them from the shallow edges, one of the biggest tips I can give you this time of year is the boat position is critical to catching big fish. You will find that the lethargic bigger bass will not bite as easily as the smaller fish, and many times you will have to put that big bait in front of their mouth, so changing boat position could make a big difference. If the big bass are staging pointing away form the edge it may be the only way especially in a wind to put that bait in front of the fish.
    I’ve seen this be a critical point over the years, so be aware of the boat position, where and how you fish these humps, work them from many positions and when you get a bite immediately figure out what position the boat was in and what the water depth is. This will allow you to repeat and position for the next bite.
    You should be prepared to work several patterns as the winter is not gone yet and will have to hunt some to find the pattern that will produce bites.
    I hope you enjoy reading my fishing tips; I look forward to fishing with you over the next few months. I am trying to fill my spring schedule so if you are planning a trip to Lake Guntersville and need my guide services please call to hold your needed date.

Fish Lake Guntersville Guide Service

www.fishlakeguntersvilleguideservice.com

Email: bassguide@comcast.net

256 759 2270

Captain Mike

Cookeville, Tennessee, God Bless America.
    Post Thanks / Like

RE: Tip of the Week, Lake Guntersville

great tip on the boat position thing.....thanks and tight lines