Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Grand Lake St. Mary's

Hi all, I'm from Indiana and me family has a house on St. Mary's Lake and I am planning a fishing trip over there sometime near the end of the month. It has been since last fall since I have been there to fish so any current info would be helpful. I love going over there and catching a load of catfish, but I never seem to get any huge ones and I know they are in there. Nothing wrong with going over there for 3 days and catching about 90 catfish in the 2-5lb range haha. If anybody could give me any tips or where to fish for the bigguns, let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Grand Lake St. Mary's

Don't know much about the cat fish but there are plenty of walleyes in the spillway.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Grand Lake St. Mary's

I live near St. Mary's and i believe its the southwest corner where my dad and i fish alot during catfish tournaments. Theres a reserver back there and u cant fish in it but u can go up to the booeys. When it gets warmer catfish are always up there u just ahve to wait for them. We use shad in that lake catfish are really in tune with it. We ususally get our shad near the sailboat club, sometimes over the spillway. If you want to catch a flathead u want to use a live bait most generally. they have bitten on shad but they like live baid such as crawldads,small blue gill, and earthworms. That lake is infested with catfish so soonner or later u will come across a big one. the biggest i caught in that lake was about 9 pounds and i have broke alot of big ones off. My dad almost alwayss out fishes me. Big fish seem to be smarter than smaller ones and when they feel tension on the line they will drop the bait so use a SLIP Cork that way u can reall in the slack and pop it, with all that slack the fish wont feel the tension. During the summer there towards the top of the water so set it shallow, u can catch them just on the bottom but back in the area by the resserver we catch them towards the top.