Search Fishin.com

Thread: Columbus res.

Post Thanks / Like

Columbus res.

I am a long-time fisherman from Indiana (Fort Wayne and Indy) and have fished the lakes in that state for 30 years......now I am re-locating to Columbus and would like to learn about Hoover and Alto Creek (and for that matter other rivers, streams (e.g. Mad River) - any good resources/sites to recommend to efficiently do this? At this point any high level advice would help get me going before the thaw. Thanks in advance - Steve

PS - if anyone has any NE Indiana Lake questions.....I am your guy for this.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Columbus res.

In the Columbus area you're looking at several destinations depending on the horsepower etc. You mentioned Hoover Reservoir (here in Ohio when a lake is named a reservoir instead of lake, it's usually because it's city controlled and not state), Hoover is a 10 hp limit reservoir owned by the City of Columbus. I know, it##### but instead of unlimited with a speed limit, the local property owners so far have kept it "safe" for their personal use---be that as it may, it's about 3200 acres. O'Shaughnessy Reservoir is also city owned and it's about 1150 acres with a speed limit of 40 mph. Griggs Reservoir, downstream, is also 40 mph top limit and it's about 390 acres. Alum Creek Lake, is state controlled, it's around 3200 acres and is unlimited. You also have several other choices wihtin the central Ohio area; Buckeye Lake which is 30 minutes away, Delaware Lake which is 35 minutes away, as well as several other bodies of water. If you're a tournament fisherman, you can go to www.cotaa.com for all of the tournament news, if you're interested in weeknight tourneys etc. go to www.tntseries.com and that'll help you out there. Since you're coming from Indiana you won't have a great change in fishing, especially when it comes to Alum Creek. May take some time gettng used to the other bodies of water though as they are not near as clear, or deep. If you have any specific questions, you can get ahold of me through either of the sites listed in the foregoing, just remind me that you're the fella from the Ky Discussion board. By the way, any borarders out there coming to central Ohio and needing any info at all, I'll be glad to help out any way I can. Take er easy and good fish'n.