Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Somewhat off-topic: Livewell / fish health

Sorry that this isn't exactly relevant to Kentucky tournaments but I thought this would be the best of the boards to ask this question since I'd presume we have a lot of tournament fisherman reading.

I've been considering getting into some small local tournaments. I've never done it before and would like to try it out. Since I never keep bass, I never have had to worry about keeping them alive in the well all day. My questions are basic, I think. What is the best way to keep fish alive all day, especially in hot weather? Are there additives that should be used? Best ways to clean/disinfect the livewell at the end of the day? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

...BillH

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Somewhat off-topic: Livewell / fish health

As long as you have a decent aerating(spelling?) system you shouldnt have to worry about keeping them until it gets really hot. At that point you might want to look into a product like rejuvanade or another livewell additive. The best thing is just a little bit of ice, but you have to remember to freeze your own ice using natural water not tap water. You really dont have to worry about it though until the water gets up around 80 or 85, a good aerator will keep them fine until then. Just be careful on making long bumpy runs with livewells full of fish, that can be as hard on them as anything

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Somewhat off-topic: Livewell / fish health

When it gets hot I put a half gallon jug (milk) filled with water, then freeze, keep it in your livewell water, it will keep for most of the day. Take it out and put it in the cooler when making runs.