Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Georgia Trophy Cats

There are cats in lots of the rivers around here. I've caught some OK-sized out of Lake Allatoona and Carter's Lake, I assume the ones in Lanier are pretty much the same. I hear these stories about catfish the size of Volkswagens in Lake Allatoona...what's that about? Where is a trophy cat hotspot around here? (I'm talking "catfish-of-a-lifetime" size).

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Georgia Trophy Cats

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-23-04 AT 11:13AM (EST)[/font][p]Head for the Altamaha down around Jessup. Monster flatheads, worth the drive. Fish live eels on the bottom.

Incidently, my grandfather pulled a picture out of his pocket once when I was a kid. He was not a tall man, not much taller than 5', but in the picture he was holding a catfish. The fish's nose was just below his chin and the tail was dragging the ground!! It also was about as wide as he was; he wasn't a thin man. My dad was a kid and was with him that day near St. Louis on the Mississippi River. He says it about pulled both of them into the river. Unfortunately, this picture was lost somewhere along the way. The look on the face of my grandfather, when he pulled out that picture, is my best memory of Grampa. He lived 94 years and died when I was 22. I never saw him go fishing, but I'm thankful he took my dad and my dad took me!

wishin' I was fishin'
    inshore

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Georgia Trophy Cats

About those volzwagon sized cats in lake lanier, my dad has a picture of one of these fish, at the time he had a mustang (car) and he had the guy (with the help of three other men) put the cat next to his car, it reached from the tail end of his car to the front wheel, and its back went from the ground to the car window........dont ask for the pic i dont speak to my father anymore, and i dont have a scanner, but im not telling a "fish tale".

-cameron