Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Longnose Gar Fishing

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-05 AT 09:41PM (EST)[/font][p]I've discovered a new brand of fishing over the last two years. Longnose Gar Fishing! That's right. This fish jumps like a Tarpon and pulls like a race car. There's not a more exciting fish to catch on Westpoint Lake. Once you catch one, it's not over. Then you have to release this toothy critter too. Lots of thrills I'll guarantee. See my website:

www.westpointlakegargrabbers.blogspot.com

Let me know what you think. Donnie

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Longnose Gar Fishing

Ha ha ha... I just cut the line. They are fun to catch, but I have never tried to catch them on purpose. Last year, I saw thousands of them close to the mouth of Little River on lake Allatoona. It would have been fun to use one of those "rope lures". Do you make them yourself, or do you buy them somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like

I make my own lures from 3/8 swisted nylon rope that I buy from Ace Hardware.

Post Thanks / Like

are these the same as alligator gar as found in mississippi? heard they can reach the 200 lb mark.

Post Thanks / Like

These Gar don't get that big. They vary in size depending on the part of the country you fish but the ones I fish for could probably reach as much as 30lbs or more. They sure are a lot of fun to catch. I should be getting into them soon.
    www.westpointlakegargrabbers.blogspot.com