Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Oconee fishing help

Will be fishing on Lake Oconee April 1 through May 30th and want some help or tips for catching crappie, bass and catfish. Have a house on Sugar Creek near Sugar Creek marina and want to fish from my pontoon boat. My fishing buddies are asking me for help. Would appreciate it if anyone could give us ideas. Thanks----Ron

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Lake Oconee fishing help

Starting in early April, I usually use a Carolina rigged green pumpkin Zoom dead ringer or green pumpkin Zoom finesse worm(through most of April). In early April I also use a blue and chartreuse twin willow leaf (gold blades) spinnerbait around the rip rap and docks, as well as nr. 5 and nr. 7 shad raps. The best fishing is at night around the lighted boat docks, but these days not too many lights are on on Oconee, you have to move around and look for them. On the lights, Shad Raps will take large mouth and hybrids, and my favorite for crappie(and hybrids will hit them too) are 1/24 oz red head, chartreuse wrapped, with yellow maribou Hal Flies; the white in the same pattern will work, too. As the bass move close to spawning time, Zoom Lizards are also a good bet, either Carolina rigged or Texas style. I use a 3/4 oz egg sinker with a 3 ft leader on the Carolina rig. Good fishing!