Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Brim and wipers on Jackson

Hey, y'all. I just moved up to the lake Jackson area about a month ago from Savannah. If any of you have tips on where to find good sized brim on Jackson, and where to fish for Hybrids (which I know nothing about) I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thank you in advance

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Brim and wipers on Jackson

Well actually the best bream fihing I've done was on the Ocmulgee river below the Lake Jackson dam in the shallows. Key is to get there early just as the suns rising and fish red worms on bottom and float crickets in the pools behind rocks and log jams. Yet my biggest fish was caught on charteuse 1/16 oz. beetle spin, it weighed 3 lbs. 12oz. I live North of Atlanta in Gwinnett county but hit Lake Jackson every Wed and Thurs. This past week (8-24) I fished over by the old Kersee's marina (ask the locals and they'll tell ya the story) under the bridge and caught a nice cooler full of channel cats, all in the 1.5-3.5 lb. range, perfect for the pan. My biggest fish was 13 lbs. and I hooked another that snapped the line. Also caught 8 hybrid in the 3 lb range using large shad under the bridge and about 10 crappie, 2 of which were 3 lb. or more. So the fishing was good despite all the water coming into the lake. But I'd say between 6am and 12pm, I put about 30 fish in the cooler and thru 20 or so back. I'm working on my MSN page now with all my pics, you'll have to check it out. Hey keep in touch, maybe we can get together and I'll give a tour of the Lake.
    Wishin' I wuz Fishin',
    James

Post Thanks / Like

You know right there below the ****, at the (I think it is) Georgia Power launch? From there down is it good fishing? How do I find out if the water is running clear? I live in Conyers and have a john boat w/ 15 hp motor and I've been itching all summer to get out there and hit it but don't know when best time is or if I'm in the right spot. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

You can contact Georgia Power and get the number for the power substation there on the lake and they'll let you know what days they're going to pull water. When they're not pulling the fihing seems to slow in some cases. But if you go on the mornings when they're going to pull, early, the fish just know. the current lets them know that bait is being pushed down. Now some days, the pull is heavier than others, but its usually only heavier when theres alot of rain. Clear water doesnt always mean better fishin on the Ocmulgee, I've found.