Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

jekyll island help!

This KY hill billy is headding down to jekyll island for a one week camp and fishing trip the first week of novenber. first time to fish these waters any hints or tips would be of great help looking at salt water like red fish specks or what ever I can hook up on I fished the jetties on the gulf but never on the alantic side is it about the same or is there a different pattern I am guessing the water is a little clearer than down in Louisiana where I fished the marshes. any info would be a help or if there some good guides that are not sky high out there. thanks for you help reply here or at BigDJ_@exicte.com

Post Thanks / Like

RE: jekyll island help!

Several years since I fished the area, but I've fished many times in the GA marshes and in Louisiana. Totally different experiences, beginning with tide. There are only two weeks that you can successfully fish each area each month due to tides. Two weeks of high tides in GA are totally unfishable, with up to 8 feet tidal change. Dirty water, fast currents. Just the opposite in LA, when high tide is 1-2 feet and very preferrable.

Fishing is also completely different. Given the high tides in GA, most fish just sit and wait for baits to go by. You need a guide in GA, IMHO, though in LA you can catch fish anyway, no matter how bad you are at finding patterns.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info do you have a guide in the area you would recomend

Post Thanks / Like

No, sorry. Never used a guide. Always seemed to take the fun out of the hunt.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: jekyll isl help! ...KY news!

Is Justfishin the same KY hillbilly who was "Justfishin" down there at Peters Creek in Barren County? I sent you there from KY discussion board in June or July. I was there Saturday (10/22) at the corner of the field, where the setting is still idyllic and the old hot water heater is still 90% buried in the sand bar. I HAVE BIG NEWS FROM BARREN COUNTY, KENTUCKY! YUP! YOU GUESSED IT! -I caught the state record Log Perch.
    The previous record holder was Amanda Webb from Prestonburg, KY, who had a Dewey Lake specimen of 0.02 pounds, caught on April 21, 2004. This information is in the 2005 KDFWR rules and regulations booklet. The Log Perch is the lightest record I have ever seen recorded as a sport fish. So, I did what I had to. I doubled it! The new record, pending official verification, is the Peters Creek Log Perch of 10/22/05. It weighed in at nearly two thirds of an ounce, with a doubling-the-record-weight of 0.04 pounds!

Post Thanks / Like

RE: jekyll isl help! ...KY news!

well All right we have a champion on peters creek. yea it is me I am finally out of the wheel chair and walking without crutches but still in a D---- plastic boot going south hopefully to catch some reds or specs or anything!! might even try for a GA log perch lol