Search Fishin.com

Thread: West Point Lake

Post Thanks / Like

West Point Lake

How's the bass fishing on West Point? I'm thinking about coming down from KY this weekend or next, and I would appreciate any info on current fishing conditions. Thanks in advance...

Post Thanks / Like

RE: West Point Lake

Went to the Yellow Jacket ramp to put in. Slow trolled up Yellow Jacket creek and turned north toward the Clark Day Use ramp. Caught 7 Hybrid Bass over 3 hours while slow trolling crankbaits at idle power with the main engine. (I don't have a trolling motor) The smallest was 14 inches and the longest was 25 inches. Lots of low stress, low diffuculty fun.

I would let out 80 to 100 feet of line, although I am sure that I did not need to let out that much, I just enjoy fighting a fish and with that much line out, I get to play them for a while! I have a Humminbird Matrix 27 fishfinder and there are a LOT of fish suspending in the submerged timber and along the creek channels.

By trolling at idle, I keep the crankbaits above the timber but slow enough to trigger strikes.

I did not catch any Largemouth or smallmouth, striper or crappie, but I would expect to find a lot of them near the mouths of creeks, small bays and coves. The temperatures are rising and I think that spawning is not too far off.

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like

RE: West Point Lake

put in at highland marina and fished any of the coves south of the marina. only caught 6 fish but 1 was 8 lbs and 1 6 lbs. fihed green pumpkin worms and lizards. all fish caught on sandy shallow areas(4 ft or less)