Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jon boat fishing

I live in the marietta area and was wondering were is a good place to fish with a jon boat. I went to Alatoona the other day and almost got ran over many times by large boats. I am from Alabama and used to fish creeks there and caught many bass. I just can't seem to find any around here. I know there are some. I heard that Lake Acworth is a good place to fish with a jon boat.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Jon boat fishing

Hi, Glad to see you are fishing Allatoona. This can be a great lake to fish. However this time of year can be rough after about 10am the big boats and water ski people come out to enjoy the lake. I can tell you a few places that you can find on the lake map. Knox bridge, and go up the etowah river.Upper Stamp creek is another good place to fish with a jon boat, put in at the rampand go left up toward the back of the creek. stay away from the Dam area, with a small boat traffic is very heavy in that area.Lake Ackworth is great for jon boat fishing. Little River is also very good. Put in at Cherokee mills and go back to the right away from the main lake.check out places like Rose creek area.. etc..
    Best of luck to ya...
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

What do you use to fish up there? Do strippers run up in the creeks up there?

Post Thanks / Like

You will find mostly bass and crappie up there now. Use live minnows and troll with jigs, dark colr jigs work best for crappie, John Deere green, chart, and lime green with speckles. For bass try trick worms, Culprit split tails in med color pumpkin seed, watermelon, and even bubble gum Zoom worms do the trick sometimes.
    Late in the Year for the Stripes, they are all back in the lake now. Best time to fish the creeks and river for Stripes is when the Dogwoods are blooming.If you want to try stripes, go very early in the morn out toward the Dam or Around Red Top Mountain and down line very large Shad or Brim about 20 feet down.. But you want to be out of that area about 10-10:30 before the big boats come out of it is a rough time...

I'm usually out there about 5am and start closing it up about 10 or go back up in the creek and fish bass and crappie.
    Best of Luck to ya
    Don