Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .410 shotguns

Post Thanks / Like

RE: In your opinion yes,

umm, I think u replied to the wrong person. I agree with what u said, it's matt that doesn't like them.

Post Thanks / Like

to answer...

I have watched many and shot a few, and have seen missfires both ways. I realize that they are very accurate under the circumstances, but I guess I should clarify one detail. I have NEVER had a 100 yd. shot. They just do not exist anywhere I have ever hunted. If you know how to judge distance, and compensate, a shotgun is great even to 100 yds. The .410 is lighter and easier for some people to handle. This is the weapon I was going to let my sister use for her deer hunting endevor(She is about 100 lbs. soaking wet.) I don't really dislike the muzzleloader, but for me, I just can't see the need for one. Maybe I will one day, but right now, the hassle outways the benefits. You must realize I hunt the hills of Indiana in the southern part of the state and I go right in the thick stuff. Like I said, last year I took my first shot and missed because the slug hit a branch I did not see. I jacked a shell and there ya go. Also, this is just my opinion. Good Luck and I hope you get a trophy too, post and let us know what ya get.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

RE: to answer...

WHAT TYPE 410 DO YOU USE..

Post Thanks / Like

RE: .410 shotguns

Of all the calibers you can use why use a 410. You can just take a good sling shot and do more damage. Try a slug barrlel for 12 gauges, really accurate and believe me gets the job done. 150 yard with a good slug barrel is about the distance too. If its all you have, then good luck, and happy trailing.

Post Thanks / Like

SAIGA 410 IT IS REALLY A NICE GUN

Post Thanks / Like

Hey,I shot my first deer with a .410 that was gave to me by a neighbor and did do a good job. There not a bad gun but its not the best caliber to use on a deer

Post Thanks / Like

I had told someone that i hunted with a 410. slug i would be slppped in the face. With that little pea shooter you couldnt even kill a squrill at 50 yards.

Post Thanks / Like

To All:
    A 410 is either a beginners gun, or an experts gun.
    It just depends on which one you are.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

YOU ARE RIGHT 20GA IS SMALLEST

Post Thanks / Like

I know this post may be a little late in the season to be of much help to you but I thought I would lay the facts on the table. The .410 can be a great deer gun and has more than enough power to take a deer down. I would however call it more of a brush gun than a long range centerfire. I know a lot of people would disagree with me but the facts are there. Lets do a little ballistics comparrison shall we. I took three popular deer cartridges that are known as good brush guns and compared them to the .410, here goes....

caliber....muzzle vel....muzz. energy.....100yd traj..........
    30.30 2200fps 1827lbs. 0"
    .44mag 1760 1650 -2.1"
    .45/70 1330 1590 -4.0"
    .410 1830 785 -3.5

As you can see the .410 hangs right in there. Now, is the .410 a good slug gun compared to a 12 or a 20 , no. The .410 lacks the energy at longer ranges. Anything under a 100yds the .410 should get the job done. I would not use a single shot gun just for the fact that a follow up shot would be slow and accuracy is way down. Marlin and Winchester both make lever action .410s' that have great rifled sights and are drilled and tapped for a scope. As for muzzleloader vs. the .410. I know a lot of people that hunt with a patched ball and 75grs. of FFF. Whats the difference, you tell me.
    If you want to deer hunt with a .410 do it.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with alot of the reply's on here but i think another consideration is ammo. I think the .410 ammo is overpriced and not as available as other ammo. This is because this gun is not as popular as others so they don't make as much.
    Another thought is one of the reasons for using a muzzleloader is a longer hunting season. I myself have shot .410's but don't really see a need for one. I like my other shotguns which i use for dove, rabbits, deer, trap and skeet. The .410 has a limited use.