Search Fishin.com

Thread: Deer rifles

Post Thanks / Like

Deer rifles

What caliber do you all prefer? I currently hunt with a
    Rem. 243. I know it ain't big but it does the job, but I think I'd like a 7mm-08, get the job done easier, without the recoil of a bigger rifle. Anybody had any experience with this caliber?

Thanks for info.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Deer rifles

I have a savage .243 and i love it. It will shoot accurate at long ranges and wont drop a bit. A 7mm-8 will get the job done also.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Big bass. Does anybody on here hunt with a 7mm-08, is it a good caliber? Don't think I'm tough enough for a 30-06, so I thought this would be a good gun, put the deer on the ground, but not bruise your shoulder too bad.

Post Thanks / Like

I myself like the .270 and the .308 calibers. And you cant leave out the 30-06 its an all around gun from ground hogs to grizzly bears.

Post Thanks / Like

30-06 and the 270 are the most versatile rifles for Ky. type hunting. Plenty up punch too.

Post Thanks / Like

don't worry about the kick use what feels good to you. I dont notice the kick when i am shooting deer or anything

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the info. I'll have to think about a 270. if I ever get another gun. I did realize that you don't feel the kick when shooting at a deer. Does the 270. shoot flat? I've heard that some calibers, when shot arch over a longer distance. Is this the case with a 270?

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend Chuck Hawks Rifle Cartridge Page to everyone here. At this site you can find all the info needed on any cartridge including the recoil and trajectory of every round ever dreamed of. A 7mm-08 is a 308 case necked down to accept a .284 bullet. Likewise it will kick less than a 308 or 270. When I buy another rifle, I'm getting it in 6.5X55mm Swedish Mauser, in a winchester model 70 rifle. Right now I shoot the good old 30-06, but want a rifle that kicks less and performs on either deer, varmits, or elk. Read about the 6.5mm or .264" bullets and you'll understand why they work well for all of these. The 7mm-08 would probably be my second choice because of it's availability in rifles and ammo. I first wanted the .260 Remington in one of Remington's Mountain rifles, but Daryll Whitaker at Whitaker's guns told me that they havn't had a lot of luck getting the cartridge to catch on. He said they may soon drop it from their lineup. More rifle makers chamber for 6.5 and whitaker's has all kinds of ammo as well as reloading dies and supplies for the cartridge.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about the Whitaker gun shop in West Lousville, been there a few times, thats where my 243. came from.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya, that's the one, the only one. I would like to own a .243 one day. I know it is a good deer rifle. With a 100gr bullet, it is supposed to penetrate the same as .270 130gr due to the long profile of the bullet verses it's diameter. And, it kicks much less. If I don't end up with my 6.5, I'm going to get a .243. I would not feel undergunned at all with it for whitetails. I'm sure you could agree with that. Is your savage a good rifle??? I've heard a lot of good things about the savage bolt action rifle. I just outfitted my 30-06 with a good scope, so I'll be using it until I can justify a new gun. I got a sightron scope from Whittakers. The optics are made in the same factory as Leupold plus the windage and elevation adjustments are gear driven not spring like Leupold. I'm ready to see how it shoots.

Post Thanks / Like

My 243. isn't a savage. It's a Rem. 700 sythetic stock youth model. It's pretty light compared to my Dads 7mm mag. Thats something I really like about my 243., it doesn't weigh you down too much. Not a bad lookin' gun either.

Post Thanks / Like

25-06! GREAT

>What caliber do you all prefer?
    > I currently hunt with
    >a
    >Rem. 243. I know it
    >ain't big but it does
    >the job, but I think
    >I'd like a 7mm-08, get
    >the job done easier, without
    >the recoil of a bigger
    >rifle. Anybody had any