Search Fishin.com

Thread: rifles

Post Thanks / Like

rifles

What calber is the best for deer hunting?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: rifles

I USE A 7MM REM. MAG. GREAT ROUND FOR LONG SHOTS.BUT YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL WHEN SHOOTING CLOSE SHOTS.WILL CAUSE A LOT OF DAMAGE.I HAVE NEVER HAD A DEER RUN VERY FAR AFTER SHOOTING IT WITH THIS CALIBER.

Post Thanks / Like

As I said in another post I use a Rem. 243. Not too much kick, but it will still get er' done. The first time I shot at a deer I accidentally shot through a tree limb about as big as my thumb that was just a few inches from the end of my barrel, I couldn't see it in my scope. Still turned out to hit him in the lungs. The deer went down about 60 yards away and is on the wall behind me now.

Post Thanks / Like

Bassboy, the more I think about it, the more I want a .243 or 6mm remington. The 6mm is not as popular, but is right there with the .243, it actually is on top with velocity about 100fps and that's not much. If you do your research, the 100gr .243 bullet is identical to the 130gr .270 load. If you are going to shoot at deer only, I don't see why a person would opt for .270 over .243? Now for bigger game i see why. A person with a .243 and .30-06 or 7mm magnum needs no other rifles for hunting big game here in the states, just an opinion, but if you lay all your biases aside the facts are there. .243 and .26 caliber bullets are just magical bullets. .30 caliber bullets are not the best penetrating bullets nor are they the best long range ones, 30 caliber rounds just have the ability to carry big bullets like the 200-250gr which puts it on top of the .270 for bigger animals. There's no contest on accuracy and range of the .270. IT is just a good round also, and many people like it, they should. .270 loyalists and 30-06 fans battle it out in my group of hunting friends all the time. I'd feel confident with either, but when hard pressed would take the 06 or 7mm magnum for large game. Beyond 7mm magnum, I'd never own any other belted cartridge unless I was going to Africa, or I was a bull of a man. I just can't take the recoil and I admit it. To end on the subject, that's why I like the .243. It kills like a .270 with half the kick.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,
    I tend to take the logical approach to alot of things so my pick would be the .308. This is the round that is used most by sniper and tatical teams in the armed forces and police world wide. Load up with a 168gr. boat-tail hollow point, I prefer Sierra over all others. Others may argue, but for accuracy, distance, and terminal performance the .308 can't be beat. In my opinion anything that can take out a 250lb. man at 300 plus yards should be capable enough for deer. I don't think that the few that I own kick bad at all. Is that really something that you think about when you line a wallhanger up in yor sights? The deer that I have shot with a .308 have went down, period.

Thanks for your time,
    L.Bates

Post Thanks / Like

375 Remington Ultra Mag with 260gr Nosler Ballistic Tip handloads. Will stop any whitetail in its tracks. Period. There is no such thing as over kill. The more power, with a well placed shot, ensures a quick kill. Besides there isn't any meat on the ribs or shoulder anyway. I will also add that higher powered rifles can not make up for poor shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

30-06 Browning

Post Thanks / Like

The 168 gr MatchKing is NOT a good bullet for deer hunting. While very accurate, the MK is not designed for the amount of expansion of regular hunting bullets.

As for the original question in this thread: You have to choose what best fits your needs and hunting style. There is no one "best" caliber for deer hunting. If you will be hunting in places where the furthest shot you will take will be around 100 yards, there would be no sense in getting a belted magnum. Conversely, if you are hunting in an area where a 300 yard shot is possible, you want the power of the belted magnums.

I have three different guns that I deer hunt with. Which gun I use depends on where I'm hunting. For longer range shots, I use a 7mm Rem Mag. For medium range action I use a .308. If I am hunting in thick areas where shots won't be of any great distance, I use a 7.62X39 (SKS) with open sights.

First and foremost, always use quality hunting ammo regardless of what kind of gun you get. The optimal bullet weight for a white tail deer is 140-150 grs.

Post Thanks / Like

30-06

Post Thanks / Like

I own a 7mm Rem Mag, arguably not the best rifle for deer but I wanted something that was kind of an all around weapon, just in case I get the oppurtunity to hunt larger animals.

It has some pretty good kick but definitly not unbearable.

I have read of some new lower recoil cartridges that are out now and am curious to see if they work.

I suggest trying out some guns if possible to see what you are comfortable with.