Search Fishin.com

Thread: 454 Casull

Post Thanks / Like

454 Casull

Does anyone out there own, shoot, or hunt with a 454 casull? I was just wandering? I have owned one now for two years. I killed a spike buck with it in 2001 season. My revolver is a Ruger Super Redhawk. I was thinking about starting to reload for it and was wanting to talk with someone with experience in 454. Anyone who handgun hunts for deer and medium game also with any revolver? Someday I'd like to take deer with .357, 44 and 45colt. First for the meat and second for the sport and challange it poses. So, how do you like that 454??? I'd have to say it's a growing process into learing how to shoot one effectively, but that's what makes it fun, it's scarry. It's fun to watch people shoot it also.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: 454 Casull

I have hand loaded 300gr Hornady xtp mag bullets using H110 and cci primers. I have had great results. about 1550-1600fps and 1.5" GROUPS AT 50YRDS. I have taken a few deer with this load and all shots have passed completely thru.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: 454 Casull

My son Had /Had a 7.5 Redhawk --very accurate but too much gun for us -- so it was turned into a Marlin guidegun :) I do still handgun hunt most of the time - took two deer this past year and finished off another wounded one. the revolvers were a .41 mag 5.5 Redhawk and a .41 GNR -which is a 44 mag necked down to a .41 -- the normal .41 uses a lbt bullet of 238 gr @ 1350 and the GNr is either a 170 @ 1660 or a 210 at 1490+-- still have some stuff for the 454 if you are interested- anyway keep on with the handgun hunting -- it is fun -- I sold my 45 colt to a friend and he took a spike with it -- I am .41 all the way