Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Squirrel Hunting..

How is it going for you. I am planing on a trip in the AM to thin out the pests around my deer stand.
    Jim Dicken

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Squirrel Hunting..

it has been tough for my buddies and me they can not find any nuts or sign but i went monday and tues to two differt farms and the first was the same got three cutting on redbud tree buds and seen five, tues seen fifteen most cutting hickory and oaks harvested 4 seem like i could never get a shot but the old 22 is tough when i do though, will go back to where i seen the fifteen with the boys to thin them out for sure, never heard a shot is anyone else hunting good luck someone has to thin them out might as well be my boys and me flatheaddaddy

Post Thanks / Like

I've been about 4 trips,limited out on all but the second,I took a notion to use a Marlin .22 with open sights that was give to me several years ago ,but I'd never shot before.I shot 12 shots and only killed two squirrels,put me a 4x scope and improved my shooting a whole bunch.Earlier the squackers were tearing up Walnuts around my place,I've got plenty of hickories this year but the acorns are slim,which is contrary to what I've heard everywhere else.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back. Took my 3 1/2 year old son for his first squirrel hunt. We got two grey squirrels. He had a blast and I think he's hooked! :7

Post Thanks / Like

I know the feeling,I took my 4 year old opening day,he made some noise,but we still limited out 5 greys & 1 fox.The smile on his little face and the excitement sure brought back some memories.
    I never missed opening of squirrel season for at least 17 straight years,then it seems deer and turkey took over all else,but squirrel hunters probably get the best practice and make the best hunters.
    Glenn P.

Post Thanks / Like

What guns are most popular for squirrel hunting? I've got a buddy up in IN who wants me to go with him. I've got a 12 guage shotgun, but he claims that would be too easy. Do most people use a .22 or is my shotgun OK to use? Thanks for any info.

Post Thanks / Like

I only try to give the game a "sporting" chance when it comes to upland game birds and fishing for trout. With that said use your 12 gauge and blast away!!!