Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Carbon or Aluminum

Which type of arrows do ya'll use, carbon or aluminum? What brands?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Carbon or Aluminum

aluminum, superslams

Post Thanks / Like

I use XX75's. I tried carbon once. I will never do that again!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you like carbon arrows?

Post Thanks / Like

i HAVE TRIED CARBON, BUT i PREFER ALUM. i SHHOOT EASTON 2213. wITH A 100 GR VORTEX MECHANICAL HEAD THEY ARE THE BADEST THING I HAVE EVER SHOT. THEY LEAVE A 3 INCH HOLE THROUGH A DEER. DROPS THEM LIKE A SACK OF TATERS. I THINK THE HEAD IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE ARROW. I DON'T LIKE FIXED BROADHEADS BECAUSE THEY FLY CROOKED AT HIGH SPEEDS. CARBON WILL INCREASE SPEED, BUT WITH ALL THAT SPEED THEY ARE LESS FORGIVING IF YOU ARE OFF ON YOUR SHOT. THATS WHY I SHOOT A FAT SHAFT ALUM WITH AN OVERDRAW ON MY BOW. THE ARROW LENGTH IS ONLY 23 INCHES, BUT IT IS STILL UP OVER 300 FPS, PLENTY TO KILL ANYTHING.

Post Thanks / Like

CMAN, I am skeptical of your bow speed due to what you said about a faster bow being less forgiving on the target. But I would like to know more about your setup for my own knowledge, you can always learn something new.

And as far as faster bows not being more forgiving, the exact opposite is true. The faster your arrow speed, the straigter it will fly. If you misjudge a deer for 20 yards that is really 30 yds away and your bow is shooting 300fps then you will most likely only be about an inch or two low on your shot. If your bow is shooting 230fps then you will undershoot the deer and miss.

Post Thanks / Like

I'M SORRY YOU'RE RIGHT. i WAS THINKING ABOUT THE LENGTH OF THE LIMBS. A SHORTER BOW WILL BE LESS FORGIVING. AS FAR AS MY SETUP IT IS A MATTEWS BOW WITH AN OVERDRAW, 75LBS PULL. IT LOOKS LIKE A TOY IT IS SO SHORT. I HAVE A SET OF LIMBSAVERS (THE BEST INVENTION EVER) INSTEAD OF STRING WHISKERS OR SILENCERS. AS FAR AS THE SPEED, THATS THE ESTIMATE THAT THE MAN AT THE BOW SHOP GAVE ME. COULD BE OFF, BUT I STILL LOVE IT.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info CMAN, yeah, you have a fast bow, especially if you are pulling all 75pds, with your setup and the arrows you are using you are most likely shooting about 290fps. You can get it chrono'ed at any good bow shop that has a range.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the biggest reason I didn't like the carbons was the shafts were prone to break after I shot a deer with them.I was shooting those Easton Carbon Evolutions.I have a big pile of arrows that I have taken deer with and carbons are the only broken ones.I now use XX75 2213 tipped with 115gr Muzzy 4 Blades.They are truly BAD TO THE BONE!!!I have great arrow flight also. I am shooting them out of a High Country 4 Runner and they are smokin!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I like aluminum arrows for the simple fact that they have more kinetic energy to them than carbon due to the weight of the arrow.

I only hunt and do not shoot in tourneys, well, not seriously anyway, I do shoot 3d shoots to prep for deer season but thats it. If I were to seriously shoot in tourneys I would shoot carbon arrows to jump my speed up a little but would switch back to aluminum for hunting.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, guess I'll be looking at some aluminum arrows soon.