Search Fishin.com

Thread: Jerky Recipes

Post Thanks / Like

Jerky Recipes

Anybody got any good ones ?????

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Jerky Recipes

I have yet to find the perfect jerky recipe but I do have some tips on processing your deer. I used to soak my deer meat in water for a few days but in the last few years I have found that it is better (providing the weather is cold enough) to gut it and let it hang for 3-5days before cutting it up. You can skin it befor hanging but that can dry it out. This lets the meat "cure". If the weather isn't cool enough I just let the meat sit in the fridge for a few days uncovered.
    I have found a great recipe for grilled deer steaks or t-loin. Using McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning, olive oil, and soy sauce (the recipe is on the back of the seasoning bottle). Let it marinate for 24-48hrs depending on the thickness of the meat and grill to a medium well. Don't over cook. I did a whole loin a few weeks ago like this and I couldn't cut it up fast enough for my kids. My wife liked it but wasn' willing to admit it. Try it and tell me what you think

Daniel

Post Thanks / Like

you're right about letting it hang for awhile. i work in the meat packing business. most beef is aged for at least 14 days before it is ever sent to out. The longer it is allowed to hang in 34-40 degree weather the more tender and flavorful it will be. As for jerky I usually cut mine into strips 1/2 inch thick( or less) plenty of salt, liquid smoke, and cracked red pepper. I have had very good luck grinding it into burger, then rolling balls of it very flat before I dehydrate it. This seems to make it more tender, plus all the seasoning is throughout the meat instead of just on the outside. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

You both are right about letting it hang.The best deer meat I ever had hung for 21 days.I will give you a little tip on your grond up venison and making jerky with it.Buy you one of those jerky cannons they are well worth the money.I probally made over 200lbs of ground up venison into jerky for people last year.It just makes things so much easier.They are also good for making slim jims and snack sticks also.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any jerky secrets but i had to tell you about using bacon and strips of deer meat. We marinated the meat for about 8 hours in some teriyaki juice. I cut the meat into 1/4" strips and rolled this with some raw bacon (like pinwheels)and placed them on some skewers. They stayed on the grill for about 45 mins turning as needed and it was the best ever!!I made about 20 of these we all ate so much it hurt. I can't wait to do it again. Awesome stuff.