Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Crossbow for regular bow season, NOT GOOD

What do you guys think, I hate this new law, how on Gods green earth did it pass.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Crossbow for regular bow season, NOT GOOD

5-4

Post Thanks / Like

Well its a long story.
    Rumor has it Mr. Gailor was lied to but you cant get anyone on the other side to admit it. I have no clue.
    Personally I have attempted to DISCUSS this on another board.. but they only seem interested in posting insults and trying to confuse the stats and statements of support against the Crossbow.. I am done with all of it.
    If you cant disagree with a person without insults you lose the discussion in my estimate.
    Jim Dicken

Post Thanks / Like

Humm.....Mr. Gailor said during the Commission meeting that he was wanting to vote for teh crossbow change, but that he got a call from a person that was at the Federation meeting in the 3rd district that the 3rd voted unanamously against the crossbow change. Another guy said he was at the meeting and there was no vote. Gailor asked the 3rd district Directer, Kent Cooper if this was true and he said yes! So, the person that called Gailor was lying. I was at the 3rd district meeting myself. And the only ones ther for the crossbow were 4 or 5 people from the UBK. Now it doesn't take a genius to figure out who called Gailor with the lie. If the UBK doesn't own up to it, then they are lying. Not the UBK, but one of their members.

If you go to the "other site" as you say and post lies and misinformation, you will be challenged. They are very knowledgable over there and keep informed in the process. Not saying your wrong or right, just that if you don't have your facts straight, you just need to stay home where you rule the roost.

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Mar-19-05 AT 03:22AM (EST) by fishbum (admin)[/font][p]>What do you guys think, I
    >hate this new law, how
    >on Gods green earth did
    >it pass.

In talking to people in retail I discovered that people will buy more hunting gear to hunt with if they see more opportunity and crossbows were beginning to be of interest when I left the business. The main reason they were not picking up as well was the length of the season. Archers would still be able to hunt during the crossbow season. To me the thing slowing crossbow growth was pricing and season combination. Lots of guys did not want to spend that kind of money for only a 10 day season. They indicated they would spend it for a longer season, and with the crossbow season we get the increase in use, and the increase in permit sales that the department wants

The above statement was copied from Kentucky Hunting Discussion board. It was a statement made to support seperate seasons for Crossbow and Archery. It is also shortened. People will buy more equipment ONLY when they NEED to.. They only need to if there are seperate seasons. Traditional archery will suffer if it runs with Crossbow because people will not need both or percieve that they do.. The opposition to this does not want to keep any discussion in context apparently. The above statement was made by Jim Dicken.. but not in the context that it appears.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the law like most have good intentions but I think they took it a little far with the crosssbow deal. The thought as I understand it is that giving folks the use of a crossbow it will allow hunters that cannot pull a bow back for some reason a chance to get in on the archery season. I somewhat think thats ok with me, but then I think isnt there already a deal where disabled hunters can use a crossbow? And if someone isnt officially disabled and do have a hard time with pulling a bow back then why do they not just get a lower draw weight bow or something. You dont need a 70 pd draw weight to kill a deer. Heck, I have a deer hunting DVD where a one arm guy draws his bow with his teeth. Now thats a trooper!! Anyway, thats my thoughts, a lot of states are turning crossbows loose, maybe due to the fact that deer populations are out of control too.

Post Thanks / Like

Has the law already been voted on to allow crossbows or is the stae still discussing it.

R19

Post Thanks / Like

Out of context.. That was posted in support of SEPERATE but extended seasons.
    I am against the crossbow during the entire season.
    Long story short..
    Tradition
    With the crossbow there will be fewer and fewer people learning archery. The statement above supports that. People will only buy a weapon if it will increase time in the field and opportunity to kill game. IF they can buy ONE product instead of 2 then they will buy the easier to use weapon.
    Definition of Traditional Archery: Vertical bow requiring the person to draw and hold the arrow to shoot at the game.
    Running the seasons together will NOT promote both it will only promote one. With seperate seasons or an extended Crossbow season there is still a need for people to own both the Crossbow and the Bow and to practice with each.
    Its called Evolution..
    We dont go to war with bows and arrows any more because we have guns. Guns are more efficient and easier to use.
    Crossbows are not more efficient but ARE easier to use.
    Ohio has had no growth in Traditional Archery since the inception of the Crossbow as archery equipment.. Source UBK.
    As for the 3rd District Vote.. NO VOTE was taken.. According to the UBK they told this to Mr. Gailor. Someone then informed Mr. Gailor a vote was taken, and it was for running crossbow with archery.. My understanding of the situation is that the vote was not taken. Several people on the other site stated that was correct the League did NOT take a vote.. At this point I dont know I was not at the meeting. However UBK's stand was that the league should have a say and they had not had time to consider the issue due to not being informed of the matter soon enough ... if no vote was taken then their story jives with what their representative told me.
    Beyond that was the lack of official notice to the public. Telling a few people at a meeting does not meet the requirement.
    The public agenda stated ONLY that a discussion of the Crossbow Survey would be considered. YES I posted information on this site but not until 7 days before the issue came up. 30 days notice is required by law..(See Public Agenda on the KYDFWR website)
    The results of the survey showed only an approximately 40.2 percent Strongly or Somewhat supportive of Crossbows as Archery.. Some 30% had no opinion.. and only 28 some odd percent were strongly for or somewhat for the issue.
    The large 30% no opinion indicates that some people needed more information to make a decision.
    The above statistics were said to be lies.. however they were taken directly from the Courier Journal and later confirmed on a post with the survey results.. The Courier Journal stats combined 2 columns.. Strongly and Somewhat Supportive and apparently that threw someone of a bit. Seems they could not ad the numbers as the Courier Staff did.
    I am done on this subject and locking this thread. IF you wish to discuss this go to Kentucky Hunting. You can see all the propoganda there you want. I am not interested in being called a liar any more when I am quoting sources that were in the newspaper and on the Show. Beyond that are the insults which have no place in this discussion..
    I represent MYSELF ONLY. I do not represent any other person or Radio Show. I have NEVER stated that I do nor have I insinuated anything of that nature. I am entitled to my opinion of why Crossbows should not be considered archery equipment in Kentucky.
    Lying to people and telling them that I have tried to represent them when I CLEARLY am expressing my own opinion is cowardly. Failing to confront me and going behind my back to others to get me to stop posting is also the work of a coward.
    Jim Dicken
    AND I STILL SIGN MY NAME when the other people hide behind handles on Kentucky Hunting.