Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Loonnnnnng Turkey Hunt

I went out today at 7 AM.. got to the field by 7:45.. Birds started gobbling about 8 AM. A bird I have been working (or a relative) on a river bluff started gobbling and moving. (Worked a bird on this bluff for the last 3 seasons) Watched him through glasses with another male for an hour. Moved to see if he would come out of the woods, trying to make him think the girls were leaving cause he was not paying them any mind.. nothing. Hawk overhead had him spooked I think.
    I moved again this time walking about 2 miles circling away and around.. walked up on the sloping bluff and worked my way towards him. I called off and on for 45 minutes before he finally answered a desperation series of yelps.. I was getting ready to leave. Another 30 minutes of finesseing and diaphram putts and he FINALLY walked out into a power line cut. All I could see was the head, but that was all I needed..
    3.5 hours working this bird. Got him with a 3.5 inch Federal Mag Shok #6 shot. Shot him through some serious grass.. I really like these Federal Shells..with the flight control wads. They really put the shot into a Tight Pattern.
    I shot a better bird opening day, but I am more proud of this bird. Shot at 11:30 AM Approximately. Having the 8 inch beard and the 1 inch spurs added to the plaque of the higher scoring bird.. gonna put something on it like Spring 2005 Limit Out! on the plaque.
    The other bird scored 64.25 on the NWTF Scoring System. top 100 Typical in Kentucky.. Great Season.. hate to see it end.
    Jim Dicken

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Loonnnnnng Turkey Hunt

Congrats. Jim. Sounds like a great hunt!

Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Loonnnnnng Turkey Hunt

Thanks.. missed you this year at the Get Together..