Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shed Antlers!!

Post Thanks / Like

Shed Antlers!!

Anyone been out roaming the woods lately? It may be a little early still but Im sure somewhere out there a buck has lost at least one side already. I was out last friday and had no luck, was just really wasting some time.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Shed Antlers!!

It's getting close, I love to shed hunt, keep me posted how you do and I'll do the same.

Post Thanks / Like

I sure will keep you posted, Im the same way I love finding antlers. I saw two bucks today that still had both sides, so Im going to wait a little longer before I go back.

Post Thanks / Like

>I sure will keep you posted,
    >Im the same way I
    >love finding antlers. I saw
    >two bucks today that still
    >had both sides, so Im
    >going to wait a little
    >longer before I go back.
    >

I talked to gentleman in Frankfort yesterday named Joe Lacefield, and he is considered to be an expert on shed antlers. He recently wrote an article in Kentucky Afield on this subject. He told me starting now, and for the next two to three weeks is prime time. Now if we could get some of this snow to melt we could get out and beat the bush. I'll keep you posted.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, I sure hope to find some this year. Does the article say to just go out and walk around or does it say to look in certain areas this time of year?

Post Thanks / Like

He personally told me that his success is by searching bedding areas and food sources. Such as his favorite, winter wheat cover crop fields and the like. I walked a couple of miles last night and turned up nothing. Seen three bucks and a bunch of does, all the bucks were still wearing their headgear. I just wonder if geographic location plays a role in this, as he said he has already observed several bucks in the Frankfort area that have dropped both sides. That does not seem to be the case where I'm looking.

Post Thanks / Like

A buddy of mine saw a buck and few does standing in a field yesterday up towards carolton. The buck only had 1 side, he said. I havent seen any deer except the two nice bucks I saw earlier this week on the gene snyder, they still had both sides. Where abouts do you look or hunt?

Post Thanks / Like

I hunt and look in Oldham County. I went for a heck of a walk last night and again turned up nothing, this was in Shelby county.

Post Thanks / Like

A buddy of mine and I walked today for about an hour in Goshen, we also found nothing. I have been to where I hunt in spencer this gun season so hopefully the deer are stacked in there.

Post Thanks / Like

A buddy of mine and I walked for about an hour today in Goshen and found nothing. I havent been to where I hunt in Spencer since gun season so hopefully the deer are stacked in there.

Post Thanks / Like

Buddy has a game camera- several pics of bucks minus the headgear. There are plenty on the ground right now- just gotta find 'em.

Post Thanks / Like

Went out Wed. and walk for a few hours and found nothing. My uncle said he saw two bucks yesterday that still had both sides. I guess Ill wait alittle longer then go back out.