Search Fishin.com

Thread: Turkey season

Post Thanks / Like

Turkey season

Just a few more hours guys. Be sure to tell us about how your hunt went. I'm headed for Ohio County in the morning.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Turkey season

Went to the farm in Bullit County and had a WONDERFUL day. First I found all kinds of CRAP dumped on the farm, then I found tracks from 4 wheelers leading down into Turkey Holler, where I hunt.
    I tried hunting an area I like but have not had much success at. The Gobblers just would NOT gobble for anything but a Goose and I DID NOT HAVE a Goose Call. ( I found this out when some geese flew over about 300 yards away and I heard some Turkeys Gobble about 400 yards away.) I jumped a deer, one female turkey who flew across the river and then ran into the woods on the other side of the river..
    Now the wierd thing is the 4 Wheelers dont go on the other side of the river and even the Turkeys I normally can count on to shock gobble and to answer my box call were not there. 3 Years running one gobbler has been gobbling at me right from the opposite river bank.. NOTHING. Now he could be dead, he could have moved off.. but NO GOBBLING at all? I was amazed. I consider a hunt successful if I HEAR a gobbler within 100 yards. That Gobble that thunders in your ears and lights up the adrenaline glands. NOTHING.. so I had a WONDERFUL day..
    Wonderful is my new word.. I use it instead of the words I want to use, to describe the wonderful people who drive those Wonderful 4 wheelers illegally onto the property I hunt.
    Of course I may be wrongly blaming them for my own lousy hunting skills. Nahhh they are wonderful people.. and I am a Stone Cold Turkey Killing machine.. but not today.. LOL...

Post Thanks / Like

We saw 8 Saturday, 2 were toms. They walked by just out of my range. Saw 6 Sunday, 3 were toms and they walked by just out of my range again.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Turkey Season Success

Bird #1 April 15th: After a blown execution on two long beards at 7:35am (due to my mistake) I proceeded to spend the next three hours listening to absolutely NOTHING! At 11:30AM I made another move back to within 100 yards of where I messed up earlier and called in my first black powder gobbler at 12:35PM. He came in gobblin and struttin to my decoys and put on a great show! I didn't realize it until I got home that this bird also sported 3 beards. Weight: 22lbs, Triple Beards: 10", 3.5" and 1.5", Spurs: 7/8" and 3/4".

Bird #2 April 22nd: Finished up a great season with a dandy of a bird at 18 yards at approximately 9:35am. The pics I have do not do this bird justice. This bird was also taken with a black powder shotgun. This was an awesome hunt as I had four long beards which came in gobbling their heads off and had to stay focused on the strutter even though I had two other long beards at 10-15ft around my decoys. Weight: 23.5lbs, Double Beards: 11" & 9", Spurs: 1 1/2" & 1 9/16".

Post Thanks / Like

I got a 20lb. bird with a 10.5 inch beard Aprill 22nd at 10:00A.M. Shot him at about 20 yards. Going back this weekend to see if we can round up another.