Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

inches compared to weight size question

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-02-06 AT 12:15PM (EST)[/font][p]In November I caught a 21 3/4 inch smallmouth on Dale...I did not have my scales and had to borrow another person's scales...Their scales said it was 4.5....After reading the other posts, I feel like those scales were off....What is the opionion of the masses?

Thanks for your input!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

RE: inches compared to weight size question

The scales are probably right. The weight depends on the girth also. There are fairly accurate length/girth/weight calculators available on the web for different species of fish.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of it depends on the time of year (pre or post spawn, etc.) I've caught several around that same length that averaged around 4.5 pounds. Then again, I've also caught some 22 inches and up that didn't pass the 5 lb mark and some that were shy of 22 inches that were over 5lbs so I don't know if there is a clear cut answer!

Post Thanks / Like

The girth on the fish was 19 1/4....HE was pretty chunky....Thanks again for your input....

Post Thanks / Like

For smallmouth I found girth X girth X length divided by 800, so unless you got the girth it's anybody's guess. I carry a piece of string in my pocket. It's much simpler and more accurate than a cloth tape measure. You are supposed to measure the girth at the largest part of the fish, which on a smallmouth is usually about 2/5 of the way back on the dorsal fin vertically around the belly. Since you have to mash down the dorsal fin to take the measurement, I just measure around from just in front of the dorsal fin and just slightly angle back around in back of the pectoral fins. Since I throw all bass back I don't want to handle the fish any more than necessary. I get the same results unless it is an unusually "footballish" like fish. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations - according to the formula I found posted on the web you just released a 10 pound 1 ounce smallmouth! Sumthin ain't right here! Must be the formula - like they say - don't believe everything you read on the web. That is - unless you actually just caught and released a 10 pound smallie. Now don't you feel good about yourself!

Post Thanks / Like

I used that formula and got 10+ as well....I thought it was a good one, but not THAT good...I found a few calculators and they said from four and three quarters to five and three quarters....Scales were probably pretty close....

Post Thanks / Like

Weigh a known weight on those scales.
    You could weigh a gallon of water. It should weigh 8.34 lbs.

---------------------------
    I'd rather be catchin! :7

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a female that just pigged out on the late fall shad runs, smallies weigh a ton anyways but females are use to gorging until their bellies sink them to the bottom. The G(squared) x L divided by 800 = w formula is correct but on heavy fish it could be off a pound. My thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-06 AT 07:07AM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-03-06 AT 07:06*AM (EST)[/font]

Sorry to report but, know this for a fact....Formula's are only guesstimate's and are not necessairly accurate. I've caught a 19" smally outta Dale last year that was pushing 4 1/2 last year and have also caught 21" fish that only weighed 4.9 oz.
    Shorter fish that look like footballs at Erie are the norm and a 20" fish there can be a monster.
    I think it all depends on the geographic area...a 20 to 21" fish at Dale could be anywhere from 4 to 6 lbs. most of the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Hold on

I see your point, but formula is a measure of GIRTH and lenth. A 21" males will weigh 4lbs while a 21" female will weigh 6-10 lbs depending on the girth. With fish over 10 pounds the weight may be off a LITTLE. But otherwise the formula is very close. It's all about girth.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Hold on

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-06 AT 07:17AM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-06 AT 03:44*AM (EST)[/font]

Maybe you did not read this whole string..but when using this so called "close formula" the fish in question would have weighed a little over 10lbs...and the person that caught it says himself that the fish was no way that good. If you use this formula on the current world record smallmouth then it would have weighed 15.83lbs instead of the actual 11lbs 15oz. So much for this formula..better buy some scales.