Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad news for tournaments... delayed mortality

Hey guys and gurl......

Not too happy about what I am posting a link to, but this apparently is true.

In WI a study on delayed mortality involved a study with the FLW Stren series. The DNR folks clipped the tails on all the released fish. After the tournament, there was a fish kill, 598 bass were recovered. 98% of those bass were from the tournament.

What precipated this action for the study was a large fish die off the year prior.

But it is all in the article. Here's the link:

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/artic...ews/00lead.txt

I am not trying to start an arguement, and will be monitoring this thread very closely. If any posts are made that are inappropriate, I will delete those posts.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Bad news for tournaments... delayed mortality

ARE THEY BLAMING THE DEATH OF THEESE FISH DUE TO THE TOURNAMENT ? AND IF SO THEY MIGHT WANT TO INVESTIGATE IT FURTHER IT COULD HAPPEN FOR A NUMBER OF OTHER REASONS.

Post Thanks / Like

yes they are directly blaming the fish kill on the stress of being hauled around in the livewell. Here's my thought, Im sure there will be many more. One: 80% of the pros don't consider the fish and a resource but more likely just a paycheck. Two: I fish tournaments all year round, thats what I do, I love it. But we all have had some fish float in the well this time of year and no telling how many have died after release. Maybe this study will shed some light on the issue but having a tournament season may not be a bad option here guys. Fishing is becoming so popular that we are going to have to take the extra step to protect our resources. Maybe we set a guideline no tournaments from like june 15-sept 1 or something like that, it seems, me personally only have trouble with fish dying when the water temp is 80+. I am sure I am gonna get blasted for this post but I would be willing to give up summer tournaments if I thought for one second that I am harming the future of bass fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

There seems to be some dispute as to exactly how controlled their method of study was. If you read the article, you should also pay attention to the replys that follow on the web site. They did a lot more than just clip the fin and let them go. I read in the responses to the article some credible thoughts that the way the study was conducted may have contributed to the die off as much as the tournament stress itself. I'm not saying they are wrong, but Wisconsin does not seem to fall on the side of the sportsman in many instances, and they may be looking for an angle to reduce fishing tournaments.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't stand summer tournaments. Hot water with low oxygen holding capacity means dead fish. Stuff like Rejuvinade makes no difference when the fish get no O2. Although, I have read that night tournaments are not near as tough on the fish (due to cooler temps at night). Don't know how true that is.

Of course, I'm no biologist...just going by stuff I've read on sites like www.pondboss.com. That place has alot of good info.

Here's an idea, if you're gonna have daytime summer tournaments, make every fisherman eat the fish he catches.

***running and ducking for cover***

Post Thanks / Like

We can do a better job of protecting our fish. I dropped a camera
    Tue. night. Surface temp. was 84.6 ,at 20 ft. the temp was as low
    as 68.4 degrees. I started useing Rejuvenaid Or Semilar Spelling
    and applied it, and Ice when Tour. started .When on cerculate add
    16 oz.bottle of frozen water,without clorene, as needed to keep water
    from about 3-6 degrees below Lake Temp. Fish were jumping out of
    Scales. This will help a lot. Ray :)

Post Thanks / Like

i have in hot summer months added ice and also hydrogen peroxide to the livewells, basically it is water with an extra molocule of oxygen.

marty

Post Thanks / Like

There are a number of other similar studies that have been done in other states. I posted abstrasts and links to several last year. Basically, summer time can be hard on the fish. Tournaments should be no more than 5 hours long and done at night. In addition, fish should be returned to the water at several locations throughout the lake, not at the ramp. Those are the basic findings.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the results... every lake will have atleast 3 tourneys a weekend. it's time to get them under control!!!

fisheye Guest

>There are a number of other similar studies that have been
    >done in other states. I posted abstrasts and links to
    >several last year. Basically, summer time can be hard on the
    >fish. Tournaments should be no more than 5 hours long and
    >done at night. In addition, fish should be returned to the
    >water at several locations throughout the lake, not at the
    >ramp. Those are the basic findings.
    >
    >Andrew

fisheye Guest

I do not fish tournaments but have caught a lot of fish that have been caught and released, they all seem to be health fish. Any way I keep all legal fish caught for the dinner table so if the fish are dying from stress from the livewell I am doing my part to insure the keepers are not released back and end up catfish food.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been saying it for years on this board that with the advent of "mega-tournament" fishing the bass populations in our lakes have been hurting. I feel that most of that hurt is due to 2 things: 1) disrupting spawning fish in the spring and 2) the killing of a large percentage of the weigh-ins in summer. I don't think that banning of tournaments is the answer but surely there are things that can be done to minimize the damage. Having a tournament season would help a bunch. There was a great thread a couple of weeks ago about modifications to live wells and using ice to keep fish in warm water in good shape. Maybe tournaments need to require such equipment and handling procedures. At a minimum tournaments should raise the penalties for dead fish to make people get serious about taking care of their fish. Sure some fish are killed by the hookset or battle but most are killed by neglect.

How about modifying tournament formats during the summer? Big fish only or 2 or 3 fish limits? At least fewer fish are affected. Even the way fish are handled at weigh-ins could probably be improved to help survival. I still think if we would put our heads to it we could come up with an immediate catch-and-release tournament format. Surely we could come up with some kind of device that would accurately record a catch but allow the fish to be released immediately. With all of the cheating posts going on I doubt that idea is real popular at the moment but if there is a will there is a way. I would sure like to see bass fishing get back to the way it was 20 or 30 years ago before tournaments went crazy. Its kind of nuts that fishing is in decline but due to all of the competitive fishing so are our fisheries.

kc