Search Fishin.com

Thread: Float n Fly

Post Thanks / Like

Float n Fly

Guys im looking for a good float and fly rod. What do u guys use and i would like to have something tournament legal.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Float n Fly

>Guys im looking for a good
    >float and fly rod.
    >What do u guys use
    >and i would like to
    >have something tournament legal.
    >
    >Thanks

Tournament legal means <8ft long ... the "shorter" version of you average FnF rod.
    While you're looking over the other suggestions, that you are most likely to get ..... take a look at the Duckworth FnF rod on the BnM website:
    https://secure.redmagnet.com/bnmpole...&CategoryID=11

I fieldtested the prototype & final product for BnM. Here's an excerpt from a post I made about it to the Crappie.com membership:
    "this rod is an IM6 blank, short handled (cork), butt weighted, 8ft spinning rod. It's a 2pc rod, with 6 guides and a tip eye guide. The handle is 10 5/8in long (counting the whole weight system still attached) when closed over a reel. The first guide is 30in away from the front end of the handle, and is the only guide on that half. It is a very large gathering guide (about 3/4" interior diameter). The next guide up the pole is about 1/2 the diameter of the big gathering guide, and they decrease in size as they go towards the tip (but only by fractions of an inch). The tip/eye guide is the same diameter as the guide closest to it ... about 5/16" interior diameter. I don't have a guide number board, or calipers ... so the measurements are off a tape rule, eyeballed as best I can. They are "single foot" Fuji style guides (ceramic insert ring). The Portugese Cork handle is about 1" in diameter. The reel seat is built into the handle, and the front 2 3/4" of the handle screws down on the foot of the reel, to seat the reel.
    The rod, as a whole, is designed for FnF Bass fishing ... and on the shorter end of the scale, as far as lengths normally used for FnF fishing. It's 8ft length is designed to allow it to be used in national Bass fishing tournaments, some of which have a rule that disallows using a rod over 8ft long. The IM6 blank is designed to bend in a parabolic arch (half circle), rather than towards the tip (like a J bend, or fast tip bend). It will bend in the parabolic arch from tip eye to biggest guide ... with very little bend from that guide to handle.
    The balance weight system has 6 removable brass rings with a total add-on weight of 2.5oz. I have mine outfitted with a Mitchell 308X spinning rod ... and with the whole weight system still on the rod, it balances on my finger at the exit point of the blank (from where it comes out of the front end of the handle)."

I don't FnF with mine, so I can't really give you any info on how well it performs as such. I use it to cast 1/32-1/16oz jigs on 6lb test Iron Silk Solar Mint from a 308X Mitchell ... does a very good job. ..........cp

SSKY Guest

RE: Float n Fly

I use a 9 foot fly rod 8wt, why was the rule made it makes no sense?

Post Thanks / Like

8ft rod length rule ...

>I use a 9 foot fly
    >rod 8wt, why was the
    >rule made it makes no
    >sense?

IMHO (and that's all it is - my opinion)
    SSKY ... I think the ruling was put in place back when B.A.S.S. was the only game in town. No trolling & no fly fishing. I think the 8ft length limit on rods was to differentiate between "bass" rods & "fly" rods, and that was the only way they could come up with a ruling. I think the other circuits just followed suit on the rules.
    Back then, there weren't no FnF equipment for Bassers ... only Crappie anglers were using them!!! They just haven't seen fit to update the rules for the 21st Century .. my suggestion would be to lift the rod length rule, and impose a "no fly REEL" rule (if they still wanted to exclude "fly fishing" as a fishing method). .........cp

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of fly fishing...

Before our club had the "no fly fishing rule" in effect, one of their original members gave them a good woopin in a tourney with a fly rod, guess when they decided to impose the rule!!!

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Speaking of fly fishing...

I may be wrong but I was told it had to do with keeping long jiging poles out of tournaments. You can take a 12' - 14' jiging pole and drop a jig quietly beside a stump or cover with little or no splash. This is an advantage because you are not scaring the fish.