Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Xpress New Boats

What do you think of Fiber glass vs Aluminum Bass Boats

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Xpress New Boats

I've never owned an aluminin bass boat, but I have had two fiberglass boats.

If you fish big water, 'glass is best, my opinion. If you are fishing smaller lakes, and places where you don't have courtesy docks, no question, aluminum is the way to go.

I wish I had a very nice aluminum boat now. I live about 3 or 4 miles from two ramps on the green river, but I can't see me launching my big 'glass boat, then pulling it up on a shore littered with cantelope sized rocks. I believe I would fish a lot more here if I had an aluminum. If I were to ever move down around KY or Barkley lakes, like I hope to when I can retire, I will definately be glad I have my 'glass boat.

Lots of words to say that it depends upon YOUR use of the boat.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to pull that glass boat up on the ramp have a keel guard installed. That was the first thing I did with my new Stratos and now I can pull right up on the ramp without fear of damaging the figerglass. They are fairly expensive but well worth the money.......

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Is this John (Big Bass) Newton?

Post Thanks / Like

Calivn Hobbs Its me its me BB weld1482@yahoo.com Email me Mr. Hobbs or give me a call Time to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys I have a Ranger older model thinking of buying that new Xpress SVX19it has a 95inch beam with 68 inch bottom. its rated for a 200hp Yamaha suggested price is 18,995 in the bassmasters for January 2006 looks good did not know if anyone out there has fished out of a glass and alum both in any tournaments.

Post Thanks / Like

Don,

I do have a keel guard. The problem is the keel guard will only protect the keel from the ramp, it won't protect the fiberglass hull on either side of the keel if you pull your boat up on one of those cantelope sized rocks.

I know my first boat got about $400 damage when I was fishing in it for about the fourth time. I was fishing a tournament with one of my customers on Old Hickory. We were above some boulders, fishing worms in the crevicies. A large boat went buy, creating huge wakes, and my boat bounced on those boulders. $400 later, I had my hull repaired. I have that same concern about protecting only the hull when pulling up on a shore of rock.

Now if the ramp is a double ramp, the current isn't too strong, and I didn't feel I was going to hold up other boaters, then I would say the keel guard was sufficient.

I don't mean this to sound smart alecly, but as I reread it, it does. So, please don't take offense, I don't mean anything mean.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Give the Triton aluminums a look, awesome boat, great performance and seem more solid than the express boats. Give Plapps a call 859-647-1234. Ask for Richie

Post Thanks / Like

I owned an Xpress it was an excellent boat. But, I got a fiberglass Skeeter because of the ride and a little better to fish out of in rough water. But they build and excellent boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey JNewton did you use to work at RR Donelle & Sons in Danville.

Post Thanks / Like

Danny, not smart aleky at all. I see your point with the big rocks......I looked at the Xpress before I bought my Stratos and if I were to by an aluminum boat it would be an Xpress......

Have a great day.....

Don