Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

RE: Supper with Bobby Westmoreland..

Easy Big Fella, Bobby never said that Billy was with him when this happened. Bobby never said that Billy ever Poached a day in his life. Bobby said that in Bobby's own words, Bobby was the biggest poacher around. Back then that is how he and Billy made their money by catching and selling fish plus this is what they ate most of the time. You have to remember that the regulations were no where near as strict as they are now. Bobby never once gave me the impression that Billy ever poached a day in his life. Billy did catch fish for the freezer and sale them for money but never once said Billy did anything illegal. He even told me a story of when they were fishing at Lake Erie and they saw a guy that was perch fishing catch a smallie. This guy took a bat and bashed in the Smallmouths head as he said the word Trashfish then threw the smallie overboard. Bobby said that Billy just about walked on water to get to the guys boat to defend them Trashfish. Billy defended smallmouth until the day he passed.

Tight Lines
    Likes Bardcard liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a very nice evening! Thanks for sharing the story with us. I wish you would share some more of the mystery stories that you eluded to but did not finish. But if you don't I can understand.

Post Thanks / Like

Elnut - Amen brother...

Post Thanks / Like

Elnut , you did it again great storie made myn day good luck on them smallies. Do you ever fish KY lake for smallies?

Post Thanks / Like

Stratos.....

I fished Ky Lake this past year several times for Smallies. Caught some decent fish at night on jigs, tubes, and short arm spinnerbaits. Also caught a couple nice ones C Rigging deep ledges. Tried the FNF one trip recently but chocolate milk water made the bite pretty much impossible. I caught 3 on the fly the first day then the water muddied up and wind blew terrible. Nothing the day 2 and 1 very impressive small KY Bass on day 3 (caught on texas rigged tube) (impressive because I actually got a bite not the fish size) Planning on hitting KY again before winter is up to give the fly another shot. Biggest smallie at Ky all year came in a small tourney in November 4-6 on tube main lake deep point. Never really caught the good quality fish at Ky like I have at Dale this winter. My first year fishing Ky so hopefully I will learn the lake more and more this year.

Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Stratos.....

elnutsmalljaws WELL DONE

Post Thanks / Like

Elwood

Hey El, thanks for taking the time to share with us. We're gonna have to go fishing again soon. This time we'll take my boat. Swapped emails with Billy Westmoreland once when I was dreaming about a guide trip, and he seemed like a nice guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Billy westmoreland

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    Easy Big Fella, Bobby never said that Billy was with him when this happened. Bobby never said that Billy ever Poached a day in his life. Bobby said that in Bobby's own words, Bobby was the biggest poacher around. Back then that is how he and Billy made their money by catching and selling fish plus this is what they ate most of the time. You have to remember that the regulations were no where near as strict as they are now. Bobby never once gave me the impression that Billy ever poached a day in his life. Billy did catch fish for the freezer and sale them for money but never once said Billy did anything illegal. He even told me a story of when they were fishing at Lake Erie and they saw a guy that was perch fishing catch a smallie. This guy took a bat and bashed in the Smallmouths head as he said the word Trashfish then threw the smallie overboard. Bobby said that Billy just about walked on water to get to the guys boat to defend them Trashfish. Billy defended smallmouth until the day he passed.

Tight Lines
    I guess I grew up under a lucky star with my dad in the live fish bait busn and spending my time fishing in the chain of lakes in Leesburg Fla and any of days fishing on the St Johns river and with all the westmorelands my family and Kenny my best friend. Oh the tales I know of what really happened as told by my dad who also was raised on Dale Hollow and helped start the live bait business I the southeast. Me on the other hand never liked catching small fish my love is the big bad salt fish.
    Likes peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Westmoreland, one of the all time best SM fishermen to ever be from what I have read. Also read the article where he saved Johnny Morris and his partner at a B.A.S.S. tournament back in 1974 in Arkansas. Morris`s boat capsized with 4-6 foot waves and they were for sure in a life threaten situation and Westmorland came to their rescue. That says a lot for any man.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW great hearing from you elnut and loved your story it's really great to hear you are back fishing

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Not all was lost.

Billy was one of the greatest people I have ever met. I was pretty young when he was around but every time we went to his house or on a trip with him was a fantastic time. My dad was a very close friend of Billy's and we made lures for/with Billy for several years. We helped him remake the old Pedigo Spinright into something a little more Billy's taste. It took us a dozen tries but it eventually came out perfect and we called it the Maribu Spin.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The Spinrite is back on the market now, I believe...........

http://www.pedigoslures.com/