Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

If the pros had no sponsors?

If the pros had no sponsors on their rods and reels what do you think they would be fishing with? The reason I ask is because I am looking to make a change on mine but I have a hard time coming up with 2-300 for reelas and the same for rods seems rediculous are they really worth the money for the novice fisherman or not.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: If the pros had no sponsors?

It is my opinion that for the price of $120 new, even though they dont make them anymore (look on ebay), the old curado was the best reel for the money, have not tried the curado replacement butit can only hope to be an equal. as far as rods, for the $$ St. croix premier series or castaway rods, all rods $100 or less and are great rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Several of them I fished with used the curados, and I'm pretty sure they weren't sponsored by Shimano.

---------------------------
    I'd rather be catchin! :7

Post Thanks / Like

CURADOS ARE DEFINITELY good but i hear those who have the old ones wont turn em loose.as for the money i say depends on how much you fish and what you really need.i started out using cheap stuff when i didnt fish a lot then as i got in more tourneys and more time to fish i tore em up and wore em quick.i then went to abu 4600's with shimano convergence rods all from wall mart,had 6 and i had about 100 in each one and i won that money back a few times,sold them went to $120 falcons and still the 4600's and sold the shimano rods,cant really see the difference there.my partner has a boat full of loomis rods,and i have used them but hey 400 for a 7'11 flippin stick cant make that big a difference,i'll watch my line and save some money,your eyes are quicker than feel anyway. just my opinion sure some or alot will disagree.
    good fishin

Post Thanks / Like

I have several Shimano curado's but I also have a few Bass Pro Shop Extreme combos. No doubt the curado's are a bit better made but I can cast, pitch and catch just as many fish with the extreme rod and reel for about $100.00. And I'll probably never wear it out. It's the fisherman more than than the gear that determines the fish you catch. Not saying it's not nice to own expensive gear, I love my G'Loomis bronzeback rod but I could catch just as many with any good quality IM7, IM8, or better rod. I'm sure there are those that will disagree but that's life. I watched Jimmy Houston catch a ton of bass with sub $100 rods and reels. Billy Westmoreland started out with a level wind but that didn't stop him. But with that being said I like well made rods and reels and don't mind paying a little extra most of the time. Put an inexpensive rod and reel in the hands of a good fisherman and he will catch fish. Put a $500 combo in the hands of a less experienced fisherman and he will come up short.

Post Thanks / Like

"If the pros had no sponsors on their rods and reels what do you think they would be fishing with? "

The exact same thing they are using now....
    Redneckshadrap
    www.thecreekbank.com
    redneckshadrap@insightbb.com

Post Thanks / Like

Without the sponsors providing the gear....it's hard to say. If I were on the water as much as they are and fishing for a living, then I'd most likely try to pop for the best I could find.

HOWEVER.....Being as how I'm NOT in that class, I absolutely refuse to pop $350 for a rod and likewise for a reel. $100 for either is what I'm likely to go by (not that you can't find some good bargains for less. WalMart here is currently closing out some Berkley Series One rods for $64 each including flippin' stiks.)

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at Rogue Rods, St Croix or other similar priced rods. Yup your gonna pay more for a good rod but with a good warranty like rogue's you will save money over the years and have a top notch rod. Check reel lines the same way. Pauls Discount in Somerset carries Rogue and you can find other lifetime warranty rods in other shops.

Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion you don't need the top of the line fishing rod. I think line makes more of a differece than the rod. Just by a descent light rod. But I wouldn't go cheap on a reel. I would get a good quality reel. I prefer quantum and shimano reels. As far as rods go I use St. Croix Premier. They are good rods for the money. You will never see me pay 400 for a Loomis. That's just a joke. I know to many guys that can catch a limit out of a swimming pool using 50 dollar rods. The rod doesn't find the fish, you do.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me run this by ya. A few years back I quit work and fished tourneys for money for 2 years and was living good. The majority of my rods and reels came from Wal Mart. It is not the equipment that catch's the fish, it is the person holding the equipment. If it takes a 5 or 600 dollar fishing rod and reel to catch a fish then alot of people are hurting. My opinion. However ya should look for rods that are IM7 or 8 for the quickness of the hook set. But it dont have to be a 300 dollar rod. If ya get a reel in the 50 to 100 dollar range keep the maintenance up on it and they last a long time my friend. Once again my opinion. Good luck and choose what you are comfortable with and can afford.

Post Thanks / Like

MOST pros aren't getting rods and reels for free, but rather at a discounted price. There are a select few that get theirs free, i.e. KVD.

I would have to agree with Redneck Shadrap. In my opinion, I would imagine that most of them would still be using the same thing that they are using today. They have too much money invested in their tournaments to be using something that they don't have 100% confidence in.

Post Thanks / Like

I think if there was a big difference in rods and reels. All of the pros would be using that rod and reel. I do believe in buying good quality stuff.