Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

My first baitcasting combo

Okay, so I'm ready to buy my first baitcastin' combo... I'm pretty much a novice so I don't think spendin' a lot of money on super high quality stuff is the way to go (I guess). So here's what I'm looking to get, any advice would be appreciated (good choice/bad choice, etc.).

Bass Pro Shops® Tourney Special® Baitcast Rod and Reel Combo

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

$59.98

Reel:
    8.7 OZ RIGHT-HAND RETRIEVE
    6.3:1
    28''
    12 YD/150 LB

Rod:
    1-PIECE
    8 GUIDES
    10-20 LB
    3/8-1 OZ
    6'6" MH
    TRIGGER HANDLE C

Post Thanks / Like

RE: My first baitcasting combo

Looks like a good outfit to learn on. The rod is a medium heavy. I think a medium would be a better all around choice starting out but thats just my opinion. The medium heavy is made for baits 3/8 and up. This may limit you to using only heavier baits (large jigs, spinner baits, worms). So make sure the rod matches the size baits you will use. They charge alot for shipping a rod from bass pro (extra $6 I think). It might be better to go to your local bait shop and put one in your hand to make sure you like the feel. The c handle is kind of long also. Make sure you like the longer handle. In other words put one in your hand and make sure it feels right for you. If you don't like the rod you can send it back but you will loose shipping both ways probably. Good luck!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Luckily, the Bass Pro Shop in Clarksville IN is only a fifteen minute drive from my house, so that's the good part... won't have to pay shipping (I always hate that) and will get the opportunity to play around with it before buying.

Most of the bait I have (from just buying at the shops and at the Jim Strader Expo) are crankbaits, and that's what I plan on playing with first (even though, I've got plenty of other options - jigs, plastic worms & shad, and whatever else I'll probably buy while I'm there!!!). So do you think I'd be better off looking at the medium action rod instead of the medium heavy? And yeah, I'm pretty much gonna be learnin' - and with temps supposed to be close to 70 on Wednesday, I'm hoping to run down to the Ohio River and practice casting off a dock I know of down there...

Post Thanks / Like

If you use crankbaits definately go with a lighter action rod. Some of the pro's even use fiberglass (for its flex). A stiff rod will tear the hooks out of the fishes mouth with a crankbait. A medium would be a good all around rod but if you use crankbaits alot one day you can add a crankbait rod to your collection. Definately a medium action for your first rod, much more versitile. And it will cast lighter baits further. Anyone want to correct me here feel free. I'd like to see him get off on the right foot.

Post Thanks / Like

looks like a pretty good outfit,for that price id get two one for wormin and one for crankin.i guess retieing would be cheaper, anyway looks like a good start. happy fishin,The Tadpole

Post Thanks / Like

don't get that reel! I was at Bass Pro Saturday night and was checkin that reel out, it came apart in my hand. The guy behind the counter didn't see too surprised. I have one of the older Bass pro reels and it has worked flawlessly, but this one stunk. That lock/unlock on the side of that reel didn't work well at all.
    I would suggest getting this one, a little bit more expensive but I have checked them out and in the price range it is pretty tough to beat.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

Post Thanks / Like

Honest question here: What are the advantages of a baitcaster over a spinning rig in general. I've always favored spinning and have never really seen the need to use a baitcaster. It seems to me that the only time it really makes more sense is when you're doing some live bait bottom fishing - like for catfish.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're looking at a $60 outfit, personally, I would go with the Diawa Procaster combo for $55. I have not owned a Diawa for several years but loved the Diawa baitcasters I owned in the late 80s & early 90s. As for the rod, I think you're on the right track going 6'6" medium heavy w/ c handle. Spool the reel with 12 pound Trilene XL and you're ready for just about anything. This is a good choice for throwing a spinnerbait, jig, tube, topwater, fluke, senko, etc.

I'm not sure if living that close to a BPShops is a good thing or bad thing... ??? I think I save money living in Lexington (90 mins from any BPS)...

You can probably get yourself set up for the year with about $150. Good luck and good fishin'!

Post Thanks / Like

I personally feel that when it comes to baitcasters, you have to spend a little more than you would to get a comparable spinning outfit (quality, function). I'm not even tallking durability here, just simple hassle-free operation. Many of the cheaper baitcasters will give you fits from overruns. You may become frustrated and find yourself feeling its not worth the hassle to use a baitcaster. This would be a shame because BC's are really the only way to go when throwing bigger baits (3/4 oz+) or even moderate size (3/8 oz+). You seem to get better cranking power due to the line going directly onto the spool rather than having to make a 90 degree angle at the bail arm. If you ever plan on flippin/pitchin big jigs and creature baits into thick cover, a BC will give you these advantages: better power in a smaller, lighter package for moving the fish out of the sticks in a hurry, more accurate casting ability when you educate your thumb to apply just the right ammount of pressure at the right time, and the fact that casting rods are typically heavier action than spinners means better leverage when dealing with brutes.
    I also find that I have less problems using heavier line with BC's than with spinners. I still love spinning reels for lighter applications like drop/split-shotting small plastics, 1/8-1/4 oz. spinnerbaits and small Rapalas (#3-5). Hopefully, this also answers a few questions for Fishergirl as well.
    I started off with a cheap Shimano (since gotten rid of) and quickly moved to a Citica which really got me hooked. I have since bought better BCs but still use the citica at times because I like the way it handles.
    Again, opinions will vary and this is just my take on things. We all operate within the confines of what we can afford and I really hope that you have a good experience with your first outfit. They are addictive though as you will want one for this application and another for a different one. Now that shimano has come out with these blazin' 7:1 curados and citicas, I may need to add yet another for buzzbaits! Yikes...it never ends.
    Best of luck and keep at it.

Post Thanks / Like

baitcaster vs. spinning

I think this is a great point of discussion. I know I don't know it all, but I'll start out...

With a baitcaster, it seems to me you have a little more control as to spool speed because you can thumb the spool. This allows a little better accuracy.

A baitcaster has more power. With a spincaster, you usually have to pump the rod to play a fish with any power, as opposed to use the reel to bring the fish in.

A baitcaster, as above, has better power for fishing deep diving crankbaits.

A baitcaster is much better for heavier baits.

A spincaster is much, much better for very light weight lures.

As you can see, I am a baitcaster man. I learned to cast an open face reel before I was 5. That was all we used when I was growing up, and we fished the river all the time.

Next.....

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Hey horsefly...

I agree that you should try a medium rod first. It will allow you to fish many more flexible ways. I think if you check a med/hvy rod will say for lures 1/2 oz and up... where a medium will usually say for 1/4 oz. If you are fishing jigs and Tx rigged worms or CR, you may lose a little with a medium vs. med/hvy.

For just starting out, I agree with what you are doing. My first wife says all my tackle just disappeared... doesn't know where it went during the divorce... over 20 years ago now.

So I did not fish for a very long time, but when I started fishing again, I bought the really inexpensive rigs from WalMart. They were OK, but if I fished very much, which my fishing did grow and I fished more and more... they would wear out every year. So, if you start with the inexpensive stuff, it will allow you to experiment, learn, and if you tear it up, you're not out much. If you get to where you fish a lot, and the stuff keeps wearing out every year, you may then find that the more expensive stuff is worth it in the long run.

Some simple financial analysis will tell the tale for you.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

RE: baitcaster vs. spinning

Good replies.

Has anyone else other than me adopted the technique of grabbing or slowing down the line with your non casting hand on a spinning outfit. I've found that makes a big difference in accuracy and probably negates that advantage for the baitcasters.

Also, the points about more power confuse me. Isn't that more attributable to the rod and wouldn't a bigger spinning outfit just make up the difference?

I do see that if you're doing some short range flipping that a bait caster would be better....although I think it can still be accomplished with a spinning outfit.

(People get real defensive when I make posts, but I'm trying to honestly learn some viewpoints here and not trying to harass anyone)