Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

dale hollow trip

Hope to go to Dale Hollow maybe Wednesday and Thursday. With all the rain what would be a good game plan? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: dale hollow trip

I will be there Saturday and Sunday. I will probably be cranking most of the time.

Go Redhawks!

Post Thanks / Like

If I find fish I might be back for the weekend. Blue & Black Stratos 175 Evin. Will you use Hotlips and any particular color? Thanks. Good Fishin

Post Thanks / Like

Red hot lips and a clown suspending rogue.

Go Redhawks!

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back late last night.....we jack'd their jaws. All caught on channel bends that lead into or are next to spawning areas.

Friday
    21 total 10+ over 4lbs. including 2 over 6lbs. and one at 5lbs. Several 4.6-4.8. No dinks....these fish were about to bust they were so fat.

Saturday
    7 total 3 over 4lbs.

Sunday
    10 total 3 over 4lbs. Action was picking back up so I think we could've done 15 if we stayed for the evening bite....they probably burn'd their heads today.

I talked with several people who caught a few on jerkbaits...not really any size. We caught all ours on FNF from the Obey to the dam. Water in the creeks is much more milky and warming quickly. If you are going to fish crankbaits, I'd stick to the Wolfe and Obey. Water temps averaged at 51?

The smallies we caught were feeding on little 2.5-3" gizzard shad. As a side note....we caught a 2.5 lb. Crappie on one grass flat....got to love it.

For those of you who gave me crap about bashing Barren (my home lake) two weeks ago....this post is for you. Wake up people and head for Dale...she's still got plenty of love to give and as a bonus, there's water in it! I also thought about Barren when a 30+ boat tournament went out of Jouett on Saturday completely ruining the entire creek. We didn't get another bite after that...go figure. I just want to know where the heck you guys parked....it's not that big.

I guess I'll be out to battle you guys at KY/Barkley in a couple weeks. Better bring your A game.....I'm take'n my wife this time....you know luck be a lady 8^)

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great weekend. Wish I could have been there with you.

Post Thanks / Like

You did jack them up. I am not an experienced FNF man. I have managed to catch a few. Questions would be matching the fly with the shad. Duck feather fly? Would I be looking for flats, main lake points, creek points, backs of creeks. What are the fish relating to for the FNF bite? Would the lower end by the dam be better than the upper river section? Just general ideas. Thanks for the post it helps so much in planning a trip.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

RE: rblank

If you are not experienced on the FNF, try small 3" jerkbaits and tricked out crankbaits (i.e. Shad Raps) in the 2.5-3" size. When I say tricked out...I mean suspending weight or feathered hooks. Clown is a good color as well...specifically up the creeks. FNF is about over...next warm front they'll be looking for that jerkbait. Get it down to 10' and just twitch it....barely move it and wait...hold on...but wait 15-30 seconds in between movement.

For FNF, Duck Feather should work. If it get's sunny, move to the nearest channel bend ledge/point and lengthen your leader to 12-14'. The best spots have a little grass or laydowns nearby.

Location of the lake? It all depends on what you're doing. FNF - main lake is sort of clear (by Dale standards) early and stained later depending on traffic and wind. Get's much clearer toward the dam. If you're up in the creeks...use a bigger bait that moves more water or baits with more color (red).

I'd also consider (very seriously), if it gets sunny, throwing a 1/8-1/4 oz hair jig on a mud bank in the 10' range if it has 25-30' of water next to it and a main river channel nearby.

I wouldn't use a crankbait until after the next warm rain...a 1/8 oz grub might work stop n' go? Before I forget, leave the live bait at home....although, I'm sure the guides smok'd me with thier Alewives on Saturday. At least I didn't have to cheat to catch my fish 8^) However, I'd definitely use live bait if I were catching trout, Walleye or something to eat....when it comes to quality eating fish....the gloves come off. Smallies are sacred!

Post Thanks / Like

RE: rblank

thebassman30, let me get this strait using live bait for smallmouth is cheating but for walleye and trout its not. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: plowboy

yes...my opinion bro. Hey...how'd you come up with the handler/screen name?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, everyone is allowed an opinion. It just seems like you are always bashing everyone that doesn't share your opinion such as the guides on Dale Hollow and the tourney guys on Barren. Everyone is doing something wrong exept you. You seem to be a informed fisherman (compliment!) but throw off on others that don't seem to do things your way. I am guessing you are a very young guy. When you say the guides are cheating I'm not sure where your coming from. I'm sure most of these guides are great people trying to make a living and sometimes when the fishing is slow it may take live bait to keep customers happy. I don't understand why you call them cheaters. Seriously its ok to be opinionated but saying others are cheating is getting a bit personal. It's not against the law to use live bait in Ky or Tn so how's it cheating? It is against the rules in tornaments so yes it would be cheating in a tournament? A float and fly rod over 8' would be cheating in a tournament(I think), so maybe your cheating if your using one longer. David Hayes was trolling when he caught the world record smallie so I guess he was cheating (if you go by tournament rules). There were people fishing live bait while you were in diapers so who are you to say whats cheating? I rarely ever use live bait and release all my smallmouth so its not like I don't have the same respect you do for them, I just don't like you putting down people that don't do things your way.

Post Thanks / Like

so dude...your handler/screen name? I'm not putting anyone down...that's just not very creative. If I were guiding, I'd do anything it takes for my clients to have a good time....including live bait.

So why are you so serious....I was cheating up until I was 12 but then I started worm fishing, etc. I'll even cheat for Sauger in the Ohio and anytime I'm fish'n for a meal. It's not disrespect or anything like that......most fish can't resist live bait if you locate them....so it's cheat'n dude. Again love it or hate it...it's just my opinion.