Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Hooks From Yourself

This weekend while fishing a tournament I hooked into a good fish(I thought was a green back) on a crankbait. As fish came up it turned out to be a drum! Woo hoo! Anyway in the events of removing my crankbait from the fish, it decided to do a little dance and put that treble hook almost a half inch into my index finger. It tickled a bit, but finally with the help of my buddy getting the split ring off the hook I was free from the fish( I was floppin' everytime that fish flopped, it was a sight). So I have this trebl hook in my pad of the index finger, a couple tries with the pliers did not prove to work out. So my buddy shows me this trick by making a loop with fioshing line around the wrist and putting the loop around the shank of the hook. Then with a little tension, I pressed down in the eyelit to make it touch my finger(if you can picture). It is supposed to make the barb come out the hole it created....heh not at all. The first time I was a little timid but gave it a good tug...ouch. Next try I was bound and determined...YANK!...&#%$()@*#&^$. You talk about a nice little tickle...Yea so you have any ideas of a better way of removing a hook past the treble or any good stories to tell? The emergency room did a pretty good job, the shot hurt more than anything. Thats one drum I will never forget.

Eric J. Hickman Jr.
    U of L Bass Club
    Tournament Director
    ewalk30@aol.com

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Removing Hooks From Yourself

That is the way I have removed them and yes IT HURTS. The main trick is to keep the fishing line on the bend of the hook as close to the skin as possible. BUT IT STILL HURTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Pulled one out of my calf muscle last summer with a needle nose pliers. Yeah---it tickled alright. Pop R got hung up and then popped loose only to find my bare leg as its' next victim. I won't forget that one either.

Post Thanks / Like

Eric: I have had a number of hooks removed from me using this method but not by putting any loop of lines around my wrist. Your buddy should have looped the line around the shank of the hood and jerked on it for you.....every time I have had it done it hurts no more than a bee sting. I have never tried doing it to myself...no reason to when there is someone else there in the boat to assist you.

Post Thanks / Like

Mr. Dave Stewart is correct. The shot they give you at the ER is worse than removing the hook. If you go to the ER they most of the time will give you a shot to kill the pain and run the hook the rest of the way thru and cut off the barb and pull it back out so now you have 2 holes instead of one. Kind of crazy huh!!!!

Hey Mr. Stewart been catching any BIG fish?

Post Thanks / Like

A buddy of mine embedded a hook pretty deep into my back last year. Sure wish I had known about that "double loop and pull" trick that Dave was talking about. I ended up making my buddy run the hook all the way through the skin, cut the barb off and then back it out. Hurt like sheeeaaaattt!

Post Thanks / Like

could you have gotten the point of the hook to come back out of the skin? If so have it come out and cut the barb off with the needle nose pliers. then back the hook out from where it came. A course of antibiotics might be in order!

Post Thanks / Like

Eric here is a site that gives you a better iformation.

http://www.surviveoutdoors.com/emerg...ookremoval.asp

Post Thanks / Like

The weather has kept me off the water the past two days. No big fish since last week but I have faith I will see one or two by the end of the weekend...lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Eric this is going to sound like a big fish story but I promise it is true. I was wading a creek fishing for smallmouth by myself a few years ago and caught a nice 2.5 - 3 lb SM in water up to my thighs I lipped him and he decided he did not want to wait. I ended up with two of the three barbs in my had with the SM still attached to the other hook flopping like crazy. I finally got ahold of him there I was rod under my arm, fish in one hand and a hook in the other. I eased over to the side sat down in the waters edge placed the fish between my knees held him with my knees took my wire cutters and cut the hook holding the fish and let him fall into the water. I used the looped fishing line to remove the hook, both barbs at the same time, So it does work.

Now for the really wild part caught the same fish two days later at the same riffle still had the portion of the hook I cut in is mouth. I removed all of the hooks and let him go.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah i had something kinda the same thing happen but not a drum a rock spit it out and threw it back at me.it hit my ankle and i felt like a bee sting of a feeling and wasnt paying no attention but when i looked down one of the treble hooks was in my ankle and it was twitching.as much as i couldnt believe but was happy it didnt hurt one bit .i went too the campbellsville er and they unhooked me and i went back out and had more fun but was alot more careful.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately I am a pro I mean PRO at this one almost anyone who has ever fished with me has seen me pull out hooks as I seem to either be a target or a hook pin cushion you just got to ##### it up and yank and not a girly effort either I MEAN LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDED ON IT THAT PUSHING THE BARB THROUGH IS NOT ANY LESS PAINFUL I have been out 2 dozen times and not hook myself yet this year
    Rodney
    Tight lines
    It is easier to build a child than it is to repair an adult. GOD BLESS