Search Fishin.com

Thread: Dale Hollow

Post Thanks / Like

Dale Hollow

A buddy and I are headed to Dale tomorrow night to get a full day of fishing in on Saturday. Just wondering if the fish are off the FnF now and into a different pattern?? We are coming out of Holly Creek.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Dale Hollow

I think they are in transition. They are wanting to move very shallow but this weather is scattering them abit. I would try the fly but they were hitting jerkbaits and crankbaits the last time we had a few warm days. Try it all till you find out what works. I did not pick up alot of fish on flats but as soon as the flats dropped into deeper water they were stacked up. Also on the points and bays in the creeks suspended. With these fronts coming through every few days they could turn on or off at anytime. With the water temp up they are just itching to get up shallow and stay there if they haven't since I last went. The water is super clear in some areas. I could see the bottom in 12 feet of water in some spots. I like a little bit of color anyway. I saw several boats following the deep contour of a big flat. I'd say they were seeing the same thing on the graph. I am only catching a small amount of the fish that are swiping at the jerkbait but still enough to keep it interesting. Watching that jerkbait suspending and then a flash of bronze attack it is enough to get my blood pumping.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help. I have all the FnF stuff just never really caught anything on it. So i was thinking of mostly using jerkbaits (rogues and husky jerks in clown color) and red baby hot lips crankbaits.. Plus i have some grubs and such I was going to try to. Just wondering what depths they might be at. Hopefully they are good and active this weekend

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said I think they are wanting to move very shallow and no doubt some have but I was getting most of my arches at 10-20 ft. The water is unbelievably clear in some areas which could change if we get this rain Friday. I would throw natural colors in the clearer water. I am no expert at this but I will give you my best guess. If you use the fly and stay with it next year I guarantee you will catch fish. It takes some patients to find them some times but after you watch the bobber go under a few times you will be a believer. With water in the 50's it is classic crankbait (jerkbait) time at Dale. The fly has produced longer this year for some reason. Go to this website for some good reading on Dale http://www.dalehollowguide.com/smallmoutharticles.htm

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the advice.. We will probably cast crankbaits and jerkbaits all weekend.. I think we will find some fish. We arne't the most experienced fisherman on Dale but i think we will do just fine. Hopefully this warm rain will bring them up even more