Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

12 vs 24 volt trolling motors

I was in the market for a new trolling motor to put on a 18ft bass boat and was wondering about the new 12 volt motors. They claim to last longer and have more thrust than before. Anybody have one of these? My boat currently has a 55lb thrust 24v system rigged. Old motor seems to have lost alot of thrust over the years. Is 70lb just overkill in 24v? Or should I try the 12v 55lb. Tell me what you like any info will be helpful. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

RE: 12 vs 24 volt trolling motors

In my opinion, as long as your motor has a reostat (spelling??) to control percent of power, you can really not get too strong a motor.

I've a 74 lb thrust on my 21 foot, and there are times I really wish I had a 101 lbe thrust 36 volt system.

Just my opinion, plus everything I've read says the 24 volt systems are much more efficient.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

I switched from 12 to 24 last year and I'll never have anything other than the 24 volt. Much better!

Post Thanks / Like

They're both right. Stay with at least the 24V and you will be fine. 70-74 is not too much. I'm like Danny, I have a Minn Kota 74 and wish I had the 101.

Post Thanks / Like

How about the foot contol any gripes on minn kota or motor guides.

Check Big Lots Ad and Bi Lo Ad.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get a digital foot control it only eats up the juice. I used to have a OMC trolling motor and the button was on the right now I have a min Kota and the button is on the left. It took me awhile to get used to this.

Post Thanks / Like

On a older Motor Guide, the switch you put your foot on went bad on me twice in about 2 years. They told me that was common. I have had the Minn Kota for 3 seasons and "knock on wood" have not had any problems at all! That Minn Kota has been the very best T-motor I have ever had. I used to be a big OMC T-motor fan until I got the Minn Kota.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually have a 55lb trust Minkota no probs with the mechanics of it. Just it drains the power to fast, I have a 17ft Nitro and it can pull it around pretty good for about 2-3 hours then it just slowly gets slower. i can't fish a tournament the whole time without having to with my cables over to my crankin battery. My suggestion get a 24 volt you'll love it and it will be one of the best decisions and investments you've made. Im getting ready to buy a 24 volt im fed up with my t/m.

Post Thanks / Like

I currently have a 46lb Motorguide on my 16 footer. I had a Motorguide on my last boat and have been pleased with both of thems. I will be going to a 56 when it is replaced. If you have a 55 now and want more power both when it is new and down the road, it seems like the 74 would be your best bet. All motors that I am aware of above 55 lb are 24 volt.

Best of Luck,
    Bumblebee