Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Only for left-handed people!!

Another post on this board talks about “right-hand“ people using “left-handed” reels and I got to wondering about the other side of the question. HOW MANY LEFT-HANDED PEOPLE USE RIGHT-HAND REELS?

I am left-handed and whenever someone comments on that, I always tell them that:
    “Everybody was born right-handed but some of us have been able to overcome the handicap!” I won’t go into all the reasons why I think this is true because that is not the reel (pun intended) reason for this post.

I think that left-handed superiority extends into the fishing world because as a “lefty” I have always used right-hand reels and I DO NOT SWITCH HANDS AFTER I CAST. I cast with my left hand, keep the rod in my left hand, and then reel using my right hand. I do the same thing with bait casters and spinning reels.

I never have understood why, just because right-handed people are not able to do simple tasks with their left hand, that I as a lefty should have to switch hands and use a left-hand reel.

Anyhow, I am just wanting to hear from left-handed people: As a lefty, do you use left hand reels and switch hands after you cast or do you use right hand reels and keep the rod in your left hand after you cast? Or do you do something else?

Post Thanks / Like

What's with the exclusivity? LMAO

Where's the tolerance and acceptance?? Dang man... you want it, but won't extend it to us righties??

LMAO

Actually Dick, I have a brother and sister who are both left handed. That makes a full third of us siblings that are lefties... the rest of us got it right... LOL

Anyway, my brother does fish, and he is like you, he uses "right" handed reels.

Personally, except for jokes, I don't know what difference it makes being right or left handed. I have fished with you, and never noticed your disability of being a lefty. LOL

However, back in my teens, I was about 17, I did have some fun with a guy. I worked in a grocery store, and one of the guys that worked with me got a new pricing gun, one of the old "jumping jacks", you know the old ones that put the ink stamp on the product? Well it was new as I said, and it was very stiff and hard for him to use and change the price setting. Well, I convinced him the problem was it was a left handed pricer, and he being a right handed person, needed a different pricing gun. I finally had him convinced, and he went to the manager and asked for the "right handed" pricing gun. Now that was funny.

Then there was the guy that my father-in-law, and his friends, along with the owner of Pace tire, sent a young man walking all over town looking for a left handed monkey wrench. I wasn't alive back then, but I bet that was funny as heck as well. LOL

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

RE: What's with the exclusivity? LMAO

I'll speak for a friend. He's left handed and uses right handed reels. He didn't realize that this is the oppisite way most people fish. When were in the boat I'm a right hander using a left and he's a left hander using a right. Only problem is that alot of lures come close to my head when he's in the back of the boat. I can feel the wind off of the spinner baits sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Only for left-handed people!!

I'm a lefty as well. I have no problem with a right handled reel. Everybody is born right handed and only the best can over come it. Lol.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm left handed and i also use right handed reels. i only see this as a benefit because i have had hits on my lure right when it hits the water and i am already in position for the hookset because i dont have to switch hands. but using right handed reels does create a problem when trying to flip into cover because the line gets caught on the reel handle. does that happen to you guys?

Post Thanks / Like

i'm left handed and always hold the pole in my left hand. isd that right or left handed? all my right hand does it turn a crank. guess that's why i play bass guitar right handed since my right hand is just plucking strings and the left is doing all the work. of course eating is both handed! and being left handed has its advantages like we all die 7 years earlier than right handed people on average so we don't have to save up as much for retirement, so who has the last laugh now????

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, now I know where you got your nickname, spaz! I write with my left hand, unless I'm writing on a blackboard, then I write with my right hand. I do everything else right handed, except reel with a bait caster. I got used to spinning reels and I thought swapping hands after casting was stupid, so I just got a left handed reel. Much easier (for me anyway).

Post Thanks / Like

Hey spaz, this is funny, my original intention in my first post was to tell you you are both handed. You're playing the guitar RIGHT handed! At least you don't play it backwards like Jimi Hendrix, but then, are you any good?

Post Thanks / Like

everybody tells me i'm pretty good although i know i'm nowhere near the best. i did try to play left handed once and couldn't even hold on to the bass. talk about spaz. funny thing i learned to golf right handed too. always shot in the 70's because it always got dark before we got to the back nine. guess dad needed somebody along that was worse then him so he didn't look bad.

Post Thanks / Like

I am also one of the lucky people to be left handed. It works out great when fishing because if i am in the front of the boat with someone I can cast over my left shoulder and the right handed person can cast over his right shoulder.never come close to each other with a hook.

P.S. Left handed people are smarter than right handed people that is why there are less of us.
    HAHA!

Post Thanks / Like

I AM LEFT HANDED AND USE RIGHT HANDED REELS.I DO EVERYTHING BUT SHOOT LEFT HANDED.MY DAD TAUGHT ME TO SHOOT RIGHTY.HE SAYS MY BRAIN IS IN BACKWARDS..

Post Thanks / Like

Hey KBB, that is what the Drill SGTs told me when I went to Army Basic Training in 1956. Prior to that I had alway shot left handed and with a bolt action rifle, which I had used as a kid, it didn't matter. However, in the Army I was given an Garrand M-1 Semi-Automatic Rifle and if you shot that thing left handed you would get a shell casing in your eye every time.